[spectre] Crossfades/Shedhalle Zurich

knowbotic research info at krcf.org
Fri Oct 8 15:03:15 CEST 2010

Cross-fades. Reconstructing the Future

Exhibition Opening: Friday, 8 October, 2010
Exhibition: 9 October  -  23 December, 2010
Opening Times: Tue - Fr 1 - 6 pm, Sa - Su 12 am - 6 pm

with: Zbynek Baladrán (CZ), Rossella Biscotti (I/NL), Daniela Comani
(I/D), Christoph Draeger (CH/USA), Karen Geyer (D/CH), Hofmann&Lindholm (D),
Knowbotic Research (A/CH/D), Uriel Orlow (CH/UK), Suzanne Treister (PL/
UK), Sarah Vanagt (B), Miriam Visaczki (D)

Curated by Anke Hoffmann und Yvonne Volkart

Lately, history and the past have become topics in art to an ever
greater extent. Just as the science of history has faced up to these
challenges and overhauled its premises art, increasingly, takes part
in the debate and continues to write or even rewrites history, clearly
comprising the present debates in the theory of history, which, among
others, today even deems subjective narratives and biographical
research valid topics. History can be viewed as something that is not
given but as a multi-layered bunch of many narrations. It should be
told differently, should be rewritten again and again We perceive
politically engaged art, as extraordinarily apt, ideally suited for
this new approach in historiography since art always has been a field
developing aesthetical procedures and strategies in opposition to the
prevailing culture and its potential predomination. The title  Cross-
fades  refers to an artistic strategy which we would like to put
emphasis on. It means that we, today, put the past into a perspective
that may possibly lead to a  film  of the future.

Events

Film & Talk with Sarah Vanagt (in conjunction with the Cross-Talk)
Friday, 12 November, 7 - 9 pm

The artist and filmmaker Sarah Vanagt from Brussels is a (hi)story-
teller. Her films reflect the barbarous colonial history of Belgium in
Central Africa, history lessons in Ruanda and tell world history from
a perspective of immigrants. Excerpts and screening of the films:
Begin, Began, Begun, 2004 and Boulevard d'Ypres/ Ieperlaan, 2010.

Cross-Talk  Art, Science, History
Saturday, November 13,  4 - 8.30 pm

The historian Beat Näf (University Zurich), the art theorist Ute
Vorkoeper (Hamburg), der curators Raffael Dörig and Katharina Dunst
(Shift-Festival, Basel), the Shedhalle - curators Anke Hoffmann and
Yvonne Volkart as well as the artists of the exhibition Suzanne
Treister (London), Christoph Draeger (New York), Sarah Vanagt
(Brussels) and Miriam Visaczki (Berlin / Weimar) will explain their
individual approaches and discuss their differences in methods.
Noticable is, e.g, that the exhibited artistic positions present historic
events - in opposition to historical science - often obscure, superimposed
or even absent.

Guided Exhibition Tours
Friday, October 22, 6 pm with Yvonne Volkart, curator
Friday, November 12, 6 pm with Anke Hoffmann, Yvonne Volkart and the artists of the exhibition
Friday, November 26, 6 pm with Angela Wittwer, assistant curator
Sunday, December 12, 3 pm with Anke Hoffmann, curator

For more information please see: www.shedhalle.ch