[spectre] Vague Terrain: Ongoing Call for Guest Curators

Greg J. Smith greg.smith at utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 10 17:25:07 CEST 2010

Vague Terrain ( http://vagueterrain.net )  has recently entered its
fifth year of showcasing progressive, idiosyncratic digital art
practices. Our growth is due in large part to the contributions of
guest curators who have shared their expertise and energy with us,
including Joshua Noble, Kim Cascone, Paul Prudence, Rob Cruickshank,
CONT3XT.NET, Carrie Gates and David McCallum. We would like to
continue to collaborate with members of the digital art community, and
are inviting proposals from interested artists or curators to work
with us on future issues of Vague Terrain.

Journal Format: The best way to get a sense of our project is to
browse the archives. Each issue is a mix of essays, interviews,
in-depth documentation of multimedia projects, broader surveys of art
practices and EP-length audio art and experimental music releases. We
aren't locked to a specific formula and have featured issues almost
entirely dedicated to article-length essays or music. Each issue
should feature 8-15 contributors.

Schedule: We are looking for guest curators for issues to be published
in January 2011 and onward. A curator will need about 90 days of lead
time to organize an issue and establishing communication with the
invited artists at the beginning of the process is one of the most
involved tasks. The guest curator will work with the Vague Terrain
team to set up a timeline for participating artists to follow.

Responsibilities – A guest curator is responsible for the following:

-Writing an initial statement and using it to invite artists to
participate in the issue
-Ensuring that participating artists understand our submission
guidelines (we provide documentation)
-Ensuring that incoming submissions are approximately on schedule and complete
-Writing a forward to frame the issue theme and contextualize included work

Support – Vague Terrain offers the following assistance with the above
duties of the curator:

-Provide documentation regarding submission guidelines
-Arrange for the proofreading and editing of content
-Organizing and publishing all the content that the curator has solicited
-An FTP account for the issue through which contributors can upload their work
-Once the issue is launched we will promote the material through
various online art/media networks

Interested curators and digital artists should email us with the following:

-a brief abstract describing their proposed theme and how it relates
to their research
-An artistic or scholarly CV or a link to a personal website
-Optional: a list of artists whose work would be representative of the
proposed topic

Deadline: This is an open, ongoing call. However curators interested
in the January slot should contact us ASAP as we'll be selecting the
curator for that issue in mid September.

Submissions and inquires should be sent to submit at vagueterrain.net