[spectre] Juxtaposium

Josephine Bosma jesis at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 1 16:18:13 CEST 2011

hello al,

I would like to second Susanne's call for some self-reflection on the
side of the authors of the juxtaposium proposal. I respect and admire
the work of most of you (juxtaposium authors, I just don't know
Baruch Gottlieb), but I think this proposal completely misses its
mark. Let me try to explain why.

When the juxtaposium proposal came in my mailbox I was a little
surprised by the contrast between the content and the style. Then
what caught my eye were the names at the bottom. Three well known
critics and three artists that all seem to come from very different
directions and backgrounds drop a harsh criticism and radical (?) new
presentation format onto our laps, completely out of the blue. If it
would have been posted today (april 1st) I might have thought it was
a hoax. Where does this come from? How was it created? How did the
writers come together? Have 'social media' so undermined our
communication skills that it is easily forgotten we are posting into
each others private email boxes/homes and that addressing the mailing
list members as a mass instead of possibly smart individuals is not
the way to go? Don't get me wrong, I like a manifesto from time to
time, but this seems to miss the mark by not having any clear context
but the writers' personal experiences, which are barely explained.
More info needed urgently please!

Like many working in the field of art and (what was formerly known
as) new media I am aware of the problems with symposium formats.
Everybody complains about them from time to time, like one complains
about the weather. It is good to criticize them. There have however
been plenty of experimental formats going around in the past 15 years
if not more. What bothers me a little about the juxtaposium proposal
is that this is completely ignored. It does not help to negate one's
own history. The problem with polemics like this is that it turns
what is a very diverse field into a black and white situation, even
retroactively. Institutional and corporate phenomena are placed on
the one side, and the victims of it on the other. This way you
actually become part of the problem. The reality of the past 15 years
is different and I personally feel very happy to have witnessed some
of it. I know that many on Spectre must feel the same way.

What we also do not need I think is a return to the polemics that
destroyed for example net.art. The claim that "Our field is all about
hacking, deconstructing and reformatting existing formats" is just
nonsense, sorry to say. Misinterpretation is actually a rather
standard approach of new media art that needs heavy criticism, if I
may be polemic a bit myself. If anything our field is about a
diversity of practices and exploration of new materials, hard, soft
and wet. I welcome a call for a renewed criticism, but only from an
awareness of and respect for past failures and successes, and from an
acknowledgment of existing constructive and/or interesting practices.

With respect,

Josephine