[spectre] Re: (fwd) Sign the Petition: Release Ai Weiwei

Calin Dan adsl487504 at tiscali.nl
Sat Apr 16 10:54:55 CEST 2011

Probably AW is a swell guy. And probably jumping into the bandwagon of yet
another collective protest letter in his support should not have anything to
do with the fact that one likes his work - or not. But it actually does.
Because it is AW as a whole package that one would support, and not just one
of the numberless anonymous individuals that go daily through the mince-meat
machine of the system(s).

Now imagine the Cold War period: making a difference then was much more b/w.
If you were a dissident, you were AGAINST  the regime, and then you went to
prison, you got the Nobel prize, and then they took you out of your country,
to be a dissident elsewhere.
Currently, things are complicated. It is probably complicated for AW himself
to find out what he is - a dissident, a political voice, or an accomplice of
a powerful regime that profiles itself globally? Probably the three all
together.
It is obviously complicated (if I look at the sudden animation on this
otherwise quiet announcements list) for us, lurkers of political changes
happening at such large scale, to choose what stand do we want to take. It
is even more complicated to decide if the whole AW hype is not a
disinformation stunt that uses cynically the avatars of an individual in
order to deflect attention from more sensitive issues (you make your own
list here). Of course, atht does not delete from the picture the fact tha a
swell guy is in legal troubles.

The unpleasant (I hope it is unpleasant for us most) question remains - why
on earth do we need a celebrity to have problems in order to begin looking
in the direction of a country that rolls over practically ALL of our
standards concerning individual affirmation, freedom of speech and
information, protection of the environment, free affirmation of ethnic and
religious identity?? (you can make up your own list here as well).

While thinking in terms of "me = not famous enough, vs. AW = spoiled brat of
the international media" is a stand point weakened by subjectivism, having
so much to say about NOT DOING anything could be justified only when and if
one is already involved in some sort of process of change, there, with the
risks attached. I have to repeat - there, and not here, where indeed, you
can still pull it out alive from an encounter with the authorities in
charge, and with that have a nice life in what a Chinese - American
colleague names "the privileged condiiton of being an European".