[spectre] cfp: ASC Conference on Listening

Paul Brown paul at paul-brown.com
Thu Apr 21 07:14:27 CEST 2011

From Ranulph Glanville -- please reply to:  secretary at asc-cybernetics.org

The American Society for Cybernetics has great pleasure in announcing a conversational conference on the theme of

LISTENING
9-15 August 2011
Richmond Indiana USA
http://www.asc-cybernetics.org/2011
Deadline May 10

We regard listening as the key act that turns talking into conversation. However, we use  these words metaphorically, and not just literally: we do not mean to concentrate on the aural senses, but on the idea that it is the recipient who gives meaning to what they hear. This is how they release the potential in a statement made by another into conversation, whether the conversation is in words, acts, gestures, or indeed any other medium of communication. This can lead to the development of understanding of the other so important in human relations (perhaps specially in fields such as psycho-therapy, management, education and music).

Our conference is organised around informal and generous conversations in small groups, but has space for formal paper presentations and performances. We are also inviting experiential workshops. The conference itself will be held in Richmond, Indiana, USA, and begins in the evening of 10 August and runs to the evening of 13 August 2001. There is a sliding scale of charges. For those attending, there are free add-on events before and after.

Please visit the conference web site at www.asc-cybernetics.org/2011. Note, applicants for the conference need to fill in a statement of interest (no more than a paragraph). Go to http://www.asc-cybernetics.org/2011/?page_id=69 and click on register in the middle of the text.

IF YOU SIGN UP AND SUBMIT YOUR STATEMENT OF INTEREST ON OR BEFORE 10-MAY-2011 YOU CAN ENJOY OUR LOWEST EARLY BIRD REGISTRATION FEE!

To get a sense of last year’s conference, please visit www.asc-cybernetics.org/2010.

We hope to welcome you to our conferences!

Ranulph Glanville, ASC President

====
Paul Brown - based in OZ February to September 2011
mailto:paul at paul-brown.com == http://www.paul-brown.com
OZ Landline +61 (0)7 3391 0094 == USA fax +1 309 216 9900
OZ Mobile +61 (0)419 72 74 85 == Skype paul-g-brown
====
Synapse Artist-in-Residence - Deakin University
http://www.deakin.edu.au/itri/cisr/projects/hear.php
Honorary Visiting Professor - Sussex University
http://www.cogs.susx.ac.uk/ccnr/research/creativity.html
====