[spectre] // The State of Art //

simon swht at clear.net.nz
Mon Aug 8 14:02:54 CEST 2011

now this is funny, this call for inconsequence, like that in Incendies,
bury me face down naked, for I have not kept my promise; bring on the
hard ask of an ethology: I do not support the call to abolish arts funding.

The problem seems false, not true. There is the natural conflict of
patronage with entrepreneurship. Where state does for the former
alt-europa what private funds do for the latter in neu-welt. And
inbetween, we have the colonial dispensation, which we know to be and to
have been testing ground, a test-demographic.

There are different ethical calls to be made. In New Zealand we have
devoured our young of the 1970s! They were gone before the end of the
millennium. Julian Oliver has pointed to this, but only alluded to it in
its phenomenological deployment, not as a succession of stupidities with
which many artists are guilty of having been complicit: not as a process
now being initiated elsewhere...

I am on the side of shit when it comes to an opposition with gold; on
the side of modernist plumbing when it comes to leading sewage out of
the city; on the side of art when it comes to miming the process and
leading the shit back into town; on the side of plumbers and arts
bureaucrats for the networks they maintain to keep that damn urinal from
spraying in my face where it sits wherever it lies. In the new world,
I'm thinking.

But the numismatic battle if I may take the liberty is being waged far
from these parochial and skin-close concerns. Excuses are being made.
Pretexts asserted. And the only reason I feel I may comment is that I
know myself to be implicated in these pretexts. They propose a
Friedmannian/Straussian control-society answer to the plurality of cultures.

The cheapening is not by value but by scale. Europe better wise up quick
about what's in store.

Best,

Simon Taylor

www.squarewhiteworld.com