[spectre] V2_Newsletter January 2012

V2_ press at v2.nl
Tue Dec 20 15:05:52 CET 2011

*V2_ Newsletter, January 2012*

V2_ is also on facebook <http://www.facebook.com/V2unstable> and twitter
<http://twitter.com/#%21/V2unstable>
www.v2.nl

In 2012, the consequences of the Dutch government's budget cuts for the
arts and culture world will become visible. It will be a crucial year
for V2_. We've submitted our future plans to the city of Rotterdam, and
we're preparing for the introduction of the Dutch new creative industry
foundation. We have faith that the new plans will work. And in spite of
the chilly climate for culture, we wish all our supporters a wonderful 2012!

*The Politics of the Impure reading group*
Jan 24 19:00 -- 21:00
SMART project space, Amsterdam

V2_ has joined in the book group craze. Our enthusiastic participants,
led by Arjen Mulder, enjoyed a fascinating discussion on the opening
chapters of /The Politics of the Impure/ in December. At our second
meeting, on Jan. 24 at SMART Project Space in Amsterdam, we'll talk
about Raj Patel's /Stop Consuming Democracy/ and Gunnar Heinsohn's /The
Demographics of Democracy/. It's not too late to join us -- just order
the books and sign up at reservations at v2.nl.

http://www.v2.nl/events/the-politics-of-the-impure-reading-group

*Order -- interactive film premiere*
Selfcontrolfreak
Jan 27 20:00, Eendrachtsstraat 10, Rotterdam

Everyone who's anyone in Rotterdam will be walking down the V2_ red
carpet at January 27 for the premiere of Olivier Otten and Daphne
Heemskerk's interactive feature film /Order/. Their first full-length
work follows their hugely successful interactive Selfcontrolfreak
shorts. Thanks to Fonds BKVB

Preview at www.selfcontrolfreak.com

*Ultimaker - 3D printers*
V2_Lab

The V2_ Lab recently acquired an /Ultimaker/ build-it-yourself 3D
printer. Around the world, groups of fans of this wondrous machine meet
to exchange knowhow and impress each other with 3D prints. V2_  will
invite designers and artists to come talk about what they might make
with a 3D printer at a meeting in early 2012. Keep an eye on our website
for time and date details or contact Piem Wirtz at the V2_ Lab.
piem[at]v2.nl

http://www.v2.nl/events/ultimaker-and-reprap-evening

*Coming in 2012*

The next Dutch Electronic Art Festival (DEAF) is coming up. Though the
organization is set to become independent, this edition will still
benefit from V2_ curators' input. Artists' names and festival locations
will appear at www.deaf.nl soon. The international events program takes
place May 16--20 and the exhibition runs May 16--June 3, so save those
dates.

In 2012, V2_ will finally get its long-awaited new facade. Once the
exhibition space is empty in February, the contractor will begin
realizing the design by architect Lars Spuybroek. Artist Edwin van der
Heide has designed a special interactive work for the facade, which we
hope to unveil along with the new front in March.