[spectre] Call for Papers: Techno-Ecologies Publication (AS No.11)

Rasa Smite rasa at rixc.lv
Thu Dec 22 11:06:09 CET 2011

hello on spectre list!

please see below 'call for papers' for the next issue of Acoustic
Space journal, which will explore the theme of "techno-ecologies"
(following the discussions started in "art+communication" festival
conference and exhibition, which with the same title took place last
month in Riga: http://rixc.lv/11)

best regards,
Rasa
rixc.lv

--------------->

CALL FOR PAPERS
Acoustic Space (No 11): Techno-Ecologies

Techno-Ecologies is the theme of the next issue (No 11) of the
Acoustic Space, peer-reviewed journal for research on art, science,
technology and society. It will be published by RIXC and MPLab / Art
Research Lab of Liepaja University, in Riga and Liepaja, 2012.

* concept

Everyday life has become so intimately interwoven with complex
technological ecologies that we can no longer consider technology as
the alienating 'other'. A more careful consideration of the
relationships between the natural and the artificial is required. The
idea that we 'inhabit' technological ecologies emphasises our
connectedness to our environment (material, natural, technological),
and our dependence on the resources available there (material,
energetic, biological, cultural). Mastering these conditions is vital
to our survival on this planet.

Techno-Ecologies builds upon the concerns of Félix Guattari (the
French philosopher and co-conspirator of Gilles Deleuze) about the
lack of an integrated perspective on the dramatic techno-scientific
transformations the Earth has undergone in recent times. Guattari
urges us to take three crucially important 'ecological registers' into
account: the environment, social relations, and human subjectivity.

The Techno-Ecologies publication will develop a discussion between
artists, theorists, designers, environmental scientists,
technologists, responsible entrepreneurs and activists to extend this
perspective. Diversity, social and ecological sustainability, and a
much deeper understanding of technology as an extension of our desires
are the building blocks that we want to bring together to build a
perspective that can help us chart less hazardous routes into the
future than the ones currently travelled.

(Please refer to the full concept text written by Eric Kluitenberg below)

The techno-ecological perspective was discussed and  expanded further
during the interdisciplinary academic conference,  "TECHNO-ECOLOGIES:
Inhabiting the deep technological spheres of everyday life", which
took place in Riga, Latvia, November 4-5, 2011. (http://rixc.lv/11).
The forthcoming publication will include papers presented at this
conference, but will not be limited to it and is open for
contributions by other authors.

* Call for papers

We welcome submissions - articles, conceptual and artistic texts,
conference papers and visual contributions - from artists, theorists,
designers, environmental scientists, technologists, activists and
other lateral thinkers who are engaged with issues of social and
ecological sustainability, and who are interested in a deeper
understanding of technology.

Deadline for submitting full papers - February 15, 2012.
We welcome to submit abstracts first. Deadline for abstracts - January
31, 2012.

Length of texts: between 2500 and 8000 words (i.e. 20 000 - 45 000
characters). Submitted texts should include: 1) short abstract (ca.
250 words, i.e. 1500 characters), 2) 5 - 6 keywords, and 3) short bio
of the author (ca. 100 words, i.e. 800 characters). References should
be either in APA or Harvard style. Language for submissions: English
(all texts will be translated into Latvian as well).

* Contact and submissions

Please send abstracts and texts to the editors:
Eric Kluitenberg <epk (at) xs4all.nl>, and Rasa Smite <rasa (at) rixc.lv>

* Concept:

TECHNO-ECOLOGIES
Inhabiting the deep technological spheres of everyday life

Technology can no longer be understood as an alterity (otherness) that
stands in opposition to biological and social relationships. Going
about our regular practices of everyday living we inhabit complex
technological spheres of life that require a different, a more
'ecological' understanding of our relationship to technology. In
analogy to the 'deep ecology' movement, philosopher David Rottenberg
recently suggested that the notion of 'deep technology' relates user
and context in an ecological, symbiotic way [1].  Similarly, the idea
of 'inhabiting' technological ecologies emphasises our connectedness
to our environment (material, natural, technological) and our
dependence on the resources available in that environment (material,
energetic, biological, cultural). Mastering these conditions, which
necessarily transcend the personal experience, is vital to our
survival on this planet.

The concept of technological ecologies as spheres of life invites a
more careful consideration of the relationships between the natural
and the artificial - or even the collapse of the boundaries between
them - in favour of looking at such techno-ecologies as complex
assemblages, comparable to how for instance philosopher Bruno Latour
treats them. Our perspective should, however, not be limited to these
technological 'actors'. In The Three Ecologies (1989) Felix Guattari
expresses his worries about the intense techno-scientific
transformations the Earth is undergoing. Guattari observes an
ecological disequilibrium generated by these transformations, which
leads to  a general reduction of human and social relationships and
the sustainability of the living environment.

According to Guattari it is the relationship between subjectivity and
its exteriority - be it social, animal, vegetable or cosmic - that is
compromised, in a sort of general movement of 'implosion'. He warns
against a merely partial realisation of the severity of these changes
and inadequate responses that may come  from a purely technocratic
perspective. It is the ways of living on this planet that are in
question, according to Guattari, in the context of the acceleration of
techno-scientific mutations and exponential demographic growth. Only
an 'ethico-political' articulation 'between' the three ecological
registers that he identifies - the environment, social relations, and
human subjectivity - would be able to clarify these questions.

The paradox is that these techno scientific transformations are both
the source of the current ecological disequilibrium, and even so the
only realistic means to address and potentially resolve the problems
they create. Somehow, however, we cannot seem to make them work.

Siegfried Zielinski has pointed out that one important fallacy to
overcome is to view the course of technological development as
'progress', or to consider our current state of technological
sophistication as the best possible and necessary outcome of a
predictable historical trajectory. In his 'Variantology' project
Zielinski makes a radical break with any idea of technological
progress or determinism [2]. The Variantological approach emphasises
that at any point technological development (and human development
along with it) is contingent (it can go anywhere). Variantology does
not look for 'master media' or 'imperative vanishing points'. Instead
it seeks out  the moments of greatest possible diversity and
individual variation. It operates in carefully chosen periods of
particularly intensive and necessary work on the media,# across
different cultural and physical geographies - exploring the 'deep time
relationships of the arts, sciences and technologies'.

Finally, an exploration of inhabitable technological ecologies needs
to take into account the phantasmatic dimension of technological
apparatuses and systems. Such a more psychographic understanding of
the depth of technology aims to uncover hidden, or not immediately
visible or discernible psychological layers attached to the
technological apparatuses - perhaps we might refer to this as  a
'technological unconscious' - that underpin human experience and our
subjective ties with technological environments. It considers
technology not only as an extension of the body but also as an
extension of our deepest desires. It explores the void between the
'real' and that what is mediated by systems of language, media, and
technology. It  acknowledges the existence of a  'third body' (Klaus
Theweleit) [3]  that inserts itself between us and the (technological)
objects. This third body only emerges in our interaction with these
objects, but it is neither held by us nor by the objects alone.

Beyond questions of finite resources and obvious forms of pollution
and environmental degradation, attempts to develop sustainable
relationships with technology and our living environment should  take
into account far more complex layerings of the way we inhabit our
current technological ecologies. Such a deeply informed ethical and
philosophical perspective is indispensable if we hope to find less
hazardous routes into the future.

Notes:
1 - www.wired.com/wired/archive/3.10/rothenberg.if.html
2 - http://entropie.digital.udk-berlin.de/wiki/Variantology
3 -
www.debalie.nl/player/balieplayerpopper.jsp?movieid=93125&videofragmentsid=ank2

Eric Kluitenberg, Amsterdam, June 6, 2011