[spectre] New Media Art Organisations in Netherlands lose funding

Josephine Bosma jesis at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 15 13:46:58 CEST 2011

Just a quick and final response before getting on my way:

I totally agree with Andreas that we should not make this a battle
for media art alone. That said, what is striking in this new policy
is the division of the arts into (literally called in the policy)
'pearls' that will keep their funding and, well, 'trash' maybe? When
looking at the 'pearls' there are the Rijksmuseum (Rembrandt), The
National Opera and the National Ballet, the Rotterdam Filmfestival
and a few more. NONE of the new media cultural institutions are among
the 'pearls'.

The problems we face therefore are complicated: huge cuts along a
very broad line in the arts, and an emphasis of existing divisions
between more traditional arts and new media arts. It is a time for
action against a very trashy policy ("Art is taste. It should make
you happy" Halbe Zijlstra quote) AND reflections and emphasis on the
expertise and heritage of this unwelcome and ever widening field: new
media culture.