[spectre] OPEN CALL for DIGITAL2011: The Alchemy of Change exhibition

Cynthia Pannucci pannucci at asci.org
Wed Jun 29 01:38:08 CEST 2011

Announcing the Open Call for...

DIGITAL2011: The Alchemy of Change
international digital print competition/exhibition
to be held at the New York Hall of Science
September 3, 2011 - February 5, 2012
Organized by Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI)
DEADLINE: July 17, 2011
GUIDELINES: http://www.asci.org/artikel1160.html

CO-JURORS
Robert Devcic, owner-director of GV Art London gallery
Philip Ball, writer and noted author of popular science books

INTRODUCTION
Humans, animals, insects, trees, plants, oceans, and air -- indeed, all that
we see, taste, smell, touch, and breathe, contain molecular processes of
physical transformation; a dynamic dance of change.  This magic of
transition, called alchemy by our earliest scientists, became the science of
chemistry. It describes both the physical structure and characteristic
actions of matter. It allows for all organic and inorganic change to take
place -- brain synapses to fire, oxygen to be formed from carbon dioxide and
water during photosynthesis; the transformation of gases in our solar
system; along with the ability of proteins to turn our genes on/off. If you
extend your imagination beyond the epithelial surface of your body, or into
the ether that carries cosmic dust, or even into your kitchen, chemistry can
inspire wonder. Like a fabulous menu of concocted primordial soups, when
exposed to changes in temperature, pressure, or speed, chemistry can create
a stick of dynamite or a magnificent souffle!

For this exhibition, we celebrate the International Year of Chemistry by
inviting artists and scientists to show us their vision of this deeply
fundamental, magical enabler of life called chemistry.

SUPPORT OF DIGITAL PRINTS
ASCI was one of the first organizations in the world to recognize the
digital print as a valid fine art medium in 1998 by organizing an afternoon
panel discussion, "Collectibility & the Digital Print."  The event was held
in The Great Hall at Cooper Union, New York City, in conjunction with ASCI's
first international digital print competition/exhibition.
http://www.asci.org/Digital98/digipanel.html

ASCI's EXHIBITION ARCHIVE
View the online documentation of our twelve previous digital print
exhibitions at: http://www.asci.org/artikel62.html

ABOUT ASCI
Founded in 1988, Art & Science Collaborations, Inc. (ASCI) is an
international organization based in New York City. Its mission is to raise
public awareness about artists and scientists using science and technology
to explore new forms of creative expression, and to increase communication
and collaboration between these fields.
ASCI's seminal ArtSci Symposia on collaboration were instrumental in
igniting and coalesing the art-sci-tech field [1998-2002]. Explore its
extensive archives of: Exhibitions, Featured Members, Members News, and
Homepage Listing, and discover the amazing resource information in its
unique, multidisciplinary ASCI eBulletin.
http://www.asci.org/artikel367.html