[spectre] any news on the revolutions?

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Thu Mar 10 12:28:00 CET 2011

re all,

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Maria Chatzichristodoulou wrote:

> I know certain such organisations, and I'm sure many people on this
> list do so too. Not surprisingly, those are mostly organisations
> that have chosen not to depend on the privileges that institutional
> power systems offer on the first place (i.e. They have chosen to
> forgo public funding).

this is not exactly the point i intended to make. look around and
you'll notice none of the two are missing from our lifes: nor art in
public space, or art in private space.

what is really lacking is art in common space.

sure, we can continue along the lines of a now centenary strained
relationship (or should we call it civil war?) between the public and
the private, for which the Italian situation is clearly a picture: an
enterpreneur fighting the law system now since 20 years - now lets ask
ourselves, who is really in the middle? who benefits from all this?

in the various modulations of this conflict, clearly intensifying
since the '80s until nowadays, all cultural productions are either
appropriated by one of those two juggernauts: the private or the
public. the point is not refusing either of them, the point is
refusing of being part of this conflict, that you are inside or
outside, the point is to refuse to operate the constant prevarication
which is the main condition of this conflict: dressing up anything
that is not public or private in a well designed straitjacket.

the wild (private) or controlled (public) yet inesorable enclosure of
the commons is a crucial problem. it might be too late when we'll wake
up from our decadence in Europe and realize that people need to grow,
build, drink and paint without any authorization - and i'll stop here
since i can clearly read the terror on the faces of all those
designers watching something that is there, alive and *undesigned*.

ciao