[spectre] Notes on a New Nature at 319 Scholes Brooklyn, NY

Garrett Lynch lists at asquare.org
Thu Nov 3 12:05:01 CET 2011

Details of a forthcoming exhibition I'm part of in New York.
Apologies for cross posting.

-----------------------------

Notes on a New Nature is a physical manifestation of an ongoing
research project conducted by artist, writer, and curator Nicholas
O'Brien. The research critically examines and compares the
relationships that contemporary artists working with digital media
have to practices started in Modernist Painting – specifically the
pursuit of capturing the virtual qualities of what constitutes a
landscape. How does an artist depict a sp...ace faithfully enough to
show its affect on a subject? Can art capture the space between the
viewer and the horizon, and where does that horizon reside now that we
can digitally circumnavigate the globe? Can the digital reconcile the
physical?

One way that we know how to understand the natural is through the
domestic spaces of our daily lives. The interior shelter allows for
reflection on what is “outside,” and as a result positions
civilization away from the natural. However, as various digital and
virtual landscape permeate the domestic space, our notion of what
constitutes the natural has become more complicated than a simple
inside/outside dichotomy. We use all forms of digital and analog
technologies to simulate the natural world daily, and artists in this
show point to how these tools affect the ways in which the “realness”
of the natural is no longer as simple as locating it outside your
window.

This newfound complication highlights the central argument of Notes on
a New Nature: our varied notion of what constitutes the natural is
shaped by technology, which is a narrative that can be traced all the
way back to the advent of agriculture and the dawn of civilization.
Through employment of various digital approaches, artists in this
exhibition reference this long-standing problem we face when
attempting to represent landscape and acknowledge the ways in which
digital technology has forever changed our understanding of nature.

Participating artists include: Duncan Alexander, Mark Beasley, Chris
Collins, Petra Cortright, Theo Darst, Marjolijn Dijkman, Paul
Flannery, Joe Hamilton (aka Hypergeography), Jan Robert Leegte, Sara
Ludy, Garrett Lynch, Michael Ray-Vaughn, Sherwin Rivera Tibayan,
Nicolas Sassoon, Rick Silva, Pascual Sisto, Kate Steciw, Wes W Wilson,
and Krist Wood.

Gallery site:
http://319scholes.org/nov-10-%E2%80%93-nov-20-2011-notes-on-a-new-nature/

Facebook event page:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=269943109714089

319 Scholes Brooklyn, NY
November 10 – November 20, 2011
Opening: November 10, 7:00pm – 10:00pm
Gallery hours: Friday and Saturday, 2:00pm – 6:00pm and by appointment

Garrett

Garrett at asquare.org
http://www.asquare.org/
http://www.asquare.org/networkresearch/