[spectre] Lighthouse at Brighton Digital Festival 2012

Honor Harger honor at lighthouse.org.uk
Wed Aug 22 14:36:30 CEST 2012

Dear friends,

I'd like to let you know about some of the projects Lighthouse is
producing for Brighton Digital Festival  this September.  They
include a major new exhibition by David Blandy, and a conference -
Improving Reality 2012 - that features Anab Jain, Warren Ellis,
Regine Debatty, Luke Jerram and more.
I really hope you can make it along.

If you'd like to come along to any of these exhibitions or events and
need any more information, please don't hesitate to let me know.

best wishes,

Honor Harger
Director, Lighthouse

BRIGHTON DIGITAL FESTIVAL 2012
1 - 30 September 2012
http://2012.brightondigitalfestival.co.uk
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/brighton-digital-festival-2012

Lighthouse are delighted to be at the heart of Brighton Digital
Festival 2012.  The festival is a celebration of digital culture
featuring a whole month of exhibitions, performances, meet-ups,
workshops and outdoor events that run alongside Brighton's iconic
digital design conferences.  It is run by members of Brighton's arts
and digital communities, and administered by Wired Sussex in
association with Lighthouse.

Marking out Brighton as a major destination for digital culture, the
festival this year includes digital visionaries like Matt Webb
(Berg), Ben Hammersley, Hannah Donovan (This Is My Jam), and Alice
Taylor (Makielab), digital artists such as David Blandy, Luke Jerram,
and Seb Lee Delisle, science pioneers such as Kevin Warwick and James
Burke, science fiction legends Brian Aldiss, Warren Ellis and Jeff
Noon, and cutting edge digital thinkers and makers such as Leila
Johnston, Anab Jain (Superflux), and Tom Armitage (Hide & Seek).

They're among over 50 well-known names giving talks in the first week
alone.  Team that up with over 100 exhibitions, performances,
meet-ups, workshops, and the UK's fastest growing Maker Faire, and
you've got one of the most intriguing digital festivals in Europe.

Lighthouse's own 24 projects for the festival explore where art meets
technology. Highlights include:

ODYSSEYS BY DAVID BLANDY
1 - 23 September, Phoenix Brighton
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/david-blandy-odysseys
David Blandy is a contemporary artist based in Brighton and London
who uses video, performance, digital technology, animation and comics
to investigate the form and content of the popular culture that
surrounds us.  Odysseys is a major exhibition of his work and his
largest monographic show to date. It features recent works including,
Anjin 1600 (2012) and Child of the Atom (2010), which draw on the
visual language of Japanese anime to tell deeply personal
cross-cultural stories, plus collection of works which have arisen
out of Blandy's deep interest in game culture, including Duels and
Dualities (2011) Soul of the Lakes (2005) and Samurai Story Part 2
(2008).

IMPROVING REALITY 2012
6 September, Pavilion Theatre
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/improving-reality-2012
A half-day conference which playfully and critically looks at how
designers, artists, and makers are using various technologies to
shift our perceptions of reality. It features features graphic
novelist, Warren Ellis, art and science luminary, Luke Jerram,
digital innovators Usman Haque, Anab Jain and Leila Johnston, We Make
Money Not Art's, Regine Debatty, Rhizome's Joanne McNeil, Rebekka
Kill and more.
Expect presentations of artworks inspired by science, speculative
stories, radical designs, unlikely inventions, and a few surprises.
The conference is followed by an evening panel session featuring some
of the most prominent names in speculative fiction, including
science-fiction legend, Brian Aldiss and Jeff Noon.

ARTIST TALK BY DAVID BLANDY
1 September, Phoenix Brighton
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/artist-talk-david-blandy
To contextualise his exhibition Odysseys David Blandy will be giving
a talk about his practice.   Blandy creates work that can be
simultaneously humorous and philosophical, ironic and deeply
heartfelt. Both playful and poignant, Blandy's works ask us to
analyse the images and stories that surround us, the games we play,
and the films we watch. He has exhibited widely, including shows at
The Baltic, Gateshead; the Liverpool Biennial; Turner Contemporary,
Margate; Spike Island, Bristol; and Platform China Project Space,
Beijing. His work is distributed by LUX, and he is represented by
Seventeen Gallery in London.

PIXEL PYROS BY SEB LEE DELISLE
2 September, Jubilee Square
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/pixelpyros-by-seb-lee-delisle
A stunning outdoor interactive performance by artist and creative
coder, Seb Lee Delisle.

WORKSHOPS IN SCHOOLS
18 - 25 September
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/schools-workshop-with-natalia-buckley
Creative technologist Natalia Buckley will be inspiring the digital
artists and designers of the future in a series of coding and hacking
workshops at Varndean High School and Brighton Aldridge Community
Academy.

Plus there's much more from Brighton's Mini Maker Faire, screenings
of much-loved anime classics at the Duke of Yorks cinema, a hackday
for young people, a gaming tournament, hands-on workshops in creative
coding, and a primer on how streaming media is changing culture.  Our
full programme is online here:
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk/programme/brighton-digital-festival-2012

Brighton Digital Festival is a celebration of digital culture. It is
run by members of Brighton's arts and digital communities,
administered by Wired Sussex in association with Lighthouse and
supported by Arts Council England.

CONTACT

For more information:
Lighthouse
Address: 28 Kensington Street, Brighton, BN1 4AJ, UK
Tel: +44 1273 647197
Email: info at lighthouse.org.uk
http://www.lighthouse.org.uk