[spectre] Acoustic Space publications - now available via Amazon.com!

Rasa Smite rasa at rixc.lv
Fri Dec 14 10:22:34 CET 2012

Hello!

We are very happy to let you know that we have made it easier now for
those who are interested in our Acoustic Space publications, to
purchase them via Amazon.com!

Acoustic Space was founded by E-Lab in 1998, initially as a journal
for new media culture with focus on sound art, internet radio, and
other creative explorations within the digitally networked
environments. Since 2007 Acoustic Space comes out as a peer-reviewed
journal for transdisciplinary research on art, science, technology
and society, published by RIXC, Riga Center for New Media Culture in
collaboration with Art Research Lab (MPLab) of Liepaja University.

Such titles are available now on AMAZON.COM:

Acoustic Space #11 TECHNO-ECOLOGIES (the most recent - see more info
below, ed. by Rasa Smite, Eric Kluitenberg, Raitis Smits) - this
volume for first time is in English only!

Acoustic Space #10 Networks and Sustainability (ed. by Rasa Smite,
Armin Medosch, Raitis Smits)
Acoustic Space #9 Art as Research (ed. by Rasa Smite, Kerstin Mey,
Raitis Smits)
Acoustic Space #8 Energy - Scientific and Artistic, Utopian and
Critical Visions (ed. by Rasa Smite, Raitis Smits)
Acoustic Space #7 Spectropia - illuminating investigations in
electromagnetic spectrum (ed. by Rasa Smite, Armin Medosch)
Acoustic Space #6 Waves - electromagnetic waves as material and
medium in art (ed. by Rasa Smite, Armin Medosch)
Acoustic Space #5 Trans-Cultural Mapping (ed. by Rasa Smite, Marc Tuters)
(these previous volumes are bilangual - in English and Latvian)
Transbiotics. Temporal Stability Points [exhibition catalog]
(curators, editors Rasa Smite, Raitis Smits, Jens Hauser)
net.art.lv - We are on the Net [exhibition catalog] (curators,
editors Rasa Smite, Raitis Smits)

it is also possible to order these books via RIXC directly, please
email your order request to me: rasa at rixc.lv

kind regards,
Dr. Rasa Smite
Riga Center for New Media Culture RIXC / Art Research Lab @ Liepaja University
rasa at rixc.lv

--->

The Riga Centre for New Media Culture RIXC has published new volume:

Acoustic Space #11

TECHNO-ECOLOGIES
Edited by Rasa Smite, Eric Kluitenberg and Raitis Smits

     "It is quite simply wrong to regard action on the psyche, the
socius, and the environment
      as separate". (Felix Guattari, Three Ecologies, 1989)

Everyday life is intimately interwoven with complex technological
ecologies. We can no longer consider technology as the alienating
"other". The idea is that we "inhabit" technological ecologies
emphasises our connectedness to our environment (material, natural,
technological) and our dependence on available resources (material,
energetic, biological, cultural). Mastering these conditions is vital
to our survival on this planet. Techno-Ecologies builds upon the
urgent call by philosopher Felix Guattari for an integrated
perspective on the dramatic techno-scientific transformations the
Earth is undergoing. Three crucially important "ecological registers"
need to be taken into account: the environment, social relations, and
human subjectivity. This techno-ecological perspective was the topic
of the "TECHNO-ECOLOGIES" conference in Riga, November 4-5, 2011.

This publication is structured around three thematic sections related
to Guattari's ecological registers - I environmental ecology, II
social ecology, III mental ecology, and a fourth that introduces - IV
emerging techno-ecological art practices. It brings together
contributions by conference participants as well as other authors,
engaging issues of social and ecological sustainability and a deeper
understanding of technology as an extension of our
techno-phantasmatic desires. Techno-Ecologies thus offers a
perspective that can help us chart less hazardous routes into the
future than the ones travelled currently.

Contributors: Eric Kluitenberg, David Rothenberg, Ojars Balcers,
Ronald van Tienhoven, Koert van Mensvoort, Martin Howse, Karen
Lancel, Hermen Maat, Tatiana Goryucheva, Andrew Gryf Paterson,
Normunds Kozlovs, Siegfried Zielinski, Daniel Irrgang, Arne Hendriks,
Gisele Trudel, Annie Goh, Rasa Smite, Raitis Smits, Ingo Gunther,
Julian Oliver, Gordan Savicic, Danja Vasiliev, Bart Vandeput and
others.

For the first time Acoustic Space has been published in English only.
Latvian edition will come out as a separate book.
Price: 12,90 EUR + shipping 6 EUR (in EU).
ISSN 1407-2858, 165 p., ill., 2012, Riga, Latvia.

The volume can be ordered writing an e-mail rixc (at) rixc.lv, or
purchased through PayPal at http://rixc.lv/kiosks/

And this volume along all other RIXC publications will be also
available soon (in 1-2 weeks time) on Amazon.com.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Techno-Ecologies" is the 11th issue of Acoustic Space Series.
"Acoustic Space" (published since 1998) is a journal  for new media
culture and creative explorations within digital networked
environments and electro-acoustic space. Since 2007 Acoustic Space
has come out as a peer-reviewed international journal for
transdisciplinary research on art, science, technology and society.

Contacts:
RIXC, The Centre for New Media Culture, 11. novembra krastmala
35-201, Riga, LV-1050, Latvia
ph.: +371 67228478, rixc (at) rixc.lv
http://rixc.lv
http://renewable.rixc.lv