[spectre] Galaksija, a Yugoslavian microcomputer...

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Thu Dec 27 11:10:03 CET 2012

http://events.ccc.de/congress/2012/Fahrplan/events/5178.en.html

Tomaz Solc

The ultimate Galaksija talk

Everything about a Yugoslavian microcomputer halfway between a TRS-80
and a ZX 80

Galaksija was to be in Yugoslavia what Commodore and Sinclair were in
the west. Whether it succeeded or not, its deceptively simple design can
still teach us a lot of interesting tricks on how to make a usable
computer and operating system with as few transistors and bits as possible.

Galaksija was a Yugoslavian home microcomputer popular in the local DIY
community throughout the 1980s. It was meant as an alternative to
illegally bought contemporary Sinclair and Commodore computers. It is a
fascinating product of the time of severely limited availability of
electronic components and a widespread disregard for copyright.

This situation led to unique design decisions on both the hardware and
software side. Galaksija can display better graphics than Sinclair ZX 80
with only a small number of general-purpose digital logic integrated
circuits. Since it included no specialized chips it was easy to build at
home. Being constrained to a relatively small EPROM, Galaksija's
built-in BASIC interpreter was based on a stripped-down and
hand-optimised Tandy TRS-80 ROM. It relies on undocumented Z80 features,
"racing the beam", executing error messages and floating point constants
as code and similar tricks. By not including an auto-run feature the
authors also made sure that Galaksija programs were hard to
copy-protect, encouraging sharing and an early open-source like approach
to developing software.

This is a talk inspired by the Atari 2600 and Commodore 64 ultimate
talks from the previous Congresses and the 30th anniversary of
Galaksija's design. In 45 minutes it will include a brief introduction
about the history of Galaksija and home microcomputers in Yugoslavia at
the time. It will then cover all aspects of Galaksija's hardware design,
built-in ROM routines and original software that has been preserved to
this day. It will end with coverage of what tools exist today to develop
software for Galaksija, either for running in one of the software
emulators, on hardware replicas or the real thing.

I'm an electronic engineer and this talk is based on my university
diploma thesis about reverse engineering Galaksija's hardware and
software design and tracing back its origins. I have designed and made a
working replica using modern CMOS logic that preserves Galaksija's
features, look and DIY-nature as much as possible. CMOS Galaksija has
been presented in a number of retro-computing events and talks. I am
also the author of a number of Galaksija demos and a Free software
Galaksija developer's kit.