[spectre] EAR to the [Archive] Ground – Reactivating the Unheard Avant-gardes. Case: POEX65.

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Wed Feb 1 13:56:45 CET 2012

Sorry for any cross posting...

EAR to the [Archive] Ground – Reactivating the Unheard Avant-gardes.
Case: POEX65.

Morten Søndergaard's article explores the field of the ‘unheard
avant-gardes’ (if it indeed is one field) and, drawing from the examples
of ‘POEX65’ – a cross-disciplinary and POetry EXperimental event that
took place during 10 hectic days in Copenhagen, December 1965 (and later
to become completely unheard (of)), asks the central question: How do we
define the modalities and methodologies needed to reactivate the unheard
avant-gardes like POEX65?

"My claim is that there are huge lacunas in the construction of the
‘grand’ archives, as well as in the construction of our ‘collective’
knowledge, and it would be tempting - if we consider the other end of
the argument that Mark Wiser makes, which indicates that we may never
bridge or fill all of them (the idea would be absurd) - to claim that
none of it matters. The ‘homemade’ logic being that there is not
anything interesting to find, anyway – and if there were, ‘they’ (the
professional and scientific networks) would certainly know about it."

The Journey Begins...

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/articles/ear-archive-ground-%E2%80%93-reactivating-unheard-avant-gardes-case-poex65

About Søndergaard.

Since 1994: Internationally operating Media Art Curator & Art Critic;
Currently invited visiting curator at ZKM. Curator of Exhibitions in US,
Finland, Sweden, Russia, France, Germany, Austria and Denmark –
(selected) worked with Damien Hirst (curator assistant), Sophie Calle
(curator assistant), Yoko Ono, Christian Marclay, and Stelarc. Member of
the Curator Board of PORT 2010 Festival of Contemporary Art in Aalborg;
Senior Curator at re-new - digital Arts Festival in Copenhagen
(www.re-new.org); (2007-10) member of the research group “Augmented
Reality and Contemporary Art” at McGill University, Canada; (2004-10)
Chairman of the advisory committee, Kulturnet Danmark (Culture Net
Denmark), Copenhagen; (2004-06) Member of the Curator Board at
Splintermind, Stockholm, Sweden.

Publications (selected): Get Real: Art + Real time + Theory + History +
Practice (New York: George Braziller Publishers, 2005), (with Peter
Weibel) MAGNET – The Visual Systems of Thorbjørn Lausten (Heidelberg:
Kehrer, 2008), and (with Mogens Jacobsen) RE_ACTION – The Digital
Archive Experience (Aalborg: Aalborg University Press, 2009). Upcoming
publication (in Danish): Space Punctures – Show-Bix and the Media
Conscious Practice of Per Højholt (spring 2011).

--
Other Info:

Furtherfield - A living, breathing, thriving network
http://www.furtherfield.org - for art, technology and social change since 1997

Also - Furtherfield Gallery&  Social Space:
http://www.furtherfield.org/gallery

About Furtherfield:
http://www.furtherfield.org/content/about

Netbehaviour - Networked Artists List Community.
http://www.netbehaviour.org

http://identi.ca/furtherfield
http://twitter.com/furtherfield