[spectre] A Reminder - The Last Collaboration

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Tue Feb 28 12:37:04 CET 2012

A Reminder - The Last Collaboration

Edward Picot's article about Millie Niss on Furtherfield. Submitted by
Theresa Wyatt

"I have read The Last Collaboration by Martha Deed and Millie Niss and
it is a striking account, one that I will never forget and one that I
will never stop learning from. Mr. Picot introduces this book with laser
beams of experience and clarity that will enable readers to find their
way. The way here can be difficult - through the health care "mill," but
not without respite through poetry or "notes about birds" as Picot
points out. That he knew Millie Niss and can attest she was "no ordinary
patient" or that she "...put her finger right onto a recognised problem
of healthcare..." only confirms what I have already surmised about this
remarkable woman and her extraordinary mother - that no degree of
difficulty was going to silence this important narrative. I am happy to
learn that this documentary book is slated to be used in the classroom
by a medical professor. This is most encouraging and I hope more
professors and health care educators will do so."

The Last Collaboration
By Edward Picot - 26/01/2012

The United States loses more American lives to patient safety incidents
every six months than it did in the entire Vietnam War." Edward Picot
introduces The Last Collaboration an art documentary book by artists and
poets Martha Deed and Millie Niss. This work is a construction of
Millie’s hospital experiences in the last hospital she ever visited. The
story is told through Millie’s notes, emails, the daily diary she sent
home, her posts on her Sporkworld blog, her mother’s log, and Millie’s
medical records. These primary, often raw, documents are framed with
medical notes and clinical guidelines as well as the outcomes of two NYS
Department of Health investigations of Millie’s care. Millie wanted her
story told. She wanted an autopsy performed if she died. Because of the
autopsy, we have the story.

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/articles/last-collaboration

Featuring Martha Deed
http://www.furtherfield.org/user/mldeed