[spectre] Invisible Forces: Events at Furtherfield in the Park, in Finsbury Park, London

marc marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Sat Jun 9 14:03:10 CEST 2012

Sorry for any cross posting...

Invisible Forces: Events at Furtherfield in the Park

http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/activities/invisible-forces-events#

Invisible Forces Events

with Class Wargames, The Hexists, Dave Miller, Olga P Massanet and
Thomas Cade Aston

All welcome

To accompany Invisible Forces exhibition
(http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/exhibition/invisible-forces),
Furtherfield invites all gallery visitors to take part in a programme of
public play, games, making and discussion led by alert and energetic
artists, techies, makers and thinkers: Class Wargames, The Hexists, Dave
Miller, Olga P Massanet and Thomas Aston.

Summer Board Games and Picnic with Class Wargames and Kimathi Donkor

Join us for a day of debate around the leader of the Haitian Revolution,
Toussaint Louverture, now regarded as an important icon of anti-slavery
struggles. Class Wargames interviews the artist Kimathi Donkor who
created the history painting Toussaint Louverture at Bedourete to mark
200 years since the independence of Haiti. The event will kick off with
a picnic in the park and continue with an afternoon of collective
playing of Guy Debord's The Game of War, a Napoleonic-era military
strategy game where armies must maintain their communications structure
to survive – and where victory is achieved by smashing your opponent’s
supply network rather than by taking their pieces.

In a short film by Ilze Black (http://vimeo.com/41627274), Dr Richard
Barbrook and Fabian Tompsett of Class Wargames interview Donkor about
the work. Alex Verness from Class Wargames will be documenting the day
by taking xenographs of participants.

3 Keys - The River Oracle – The Hexists

Cybernetic systems and game theory are about anticipating and
influencing human behaviour using algorithmic code, databases, social
media etc - the industries of data-mining, data profiling and data
protection can be said to be the new 'magic' by which biopolitical
control of our bodies and identities is maintained.

3 Keys - The River Oracle with The Hexists is a game of chance and
divination in association with The Moving Forest, Act 0. It attempts to
invoke the relationship between the divinatory functions of our
contemporary 'influencing machines' (cybernetic systems and game theory
using data-mining, data profiling and data protection) and traditional
magical ones, creating new machines in the process. Using tools such as
cards, dowsing, stick throwing to interpret phenomena in the landscape,
historical and current, 'readings' can be cast, allowing associative
action, language and thought to determine what might happen in the
future, to create a path, an artwork.

In 3 Keys (version 3), participants will follow the Hackney Brook, an
old subterranean
river that begins near Finsbury Park and ends up in the
River Lea near the site of the Olympics, using different exercises to
interpret the landscape and cast readings. We will 'mark' the route
along the way with objects and stories and other inscriptions. The river
is the oracle and we are the transmisson. The documentation and
divination tools will be made available for display in the exhibition
after the event.

Technologies of Attunement – Olga P Massanet and Thomas Cade Aston

Olga P Massanet and Thomas Aston have built a custom made VLF antenna to
monitor ionospheric disturbances caused by solar storms. For this
exhibition they invite makers and thinkers to participate in a creative
sprint and come up with ideas on how to make these disturbances felt.
Whether it's a device, a visualisation, a sonification, or a poem,
participants will design interfaces to tune into some of the most
powerful forces that permeate our world.

Dave Miller's Finsbury Park Radiation Walk

Public exploratory radiation walk around Finsbury Park, measuring
mobile phone radiation levels and discovering what type of radiations we
are exposed to on a daily basis. As we walk, we will unravel a parallel,
hidden story of the local area along with technical data and possible
medical effects of the radiation.
 Participants will measure radiation
levels, GPS positions and marked levels on a large map of the area,
creating a collaborative artwork (poster sized map of local radiation)
to be made available for display as part of the exhibition after the event.

info for dates of events, presentations, discussions, play & workshops
http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/activities/invisible-forces-events#

Info about Invisible Forces show
http://www.furtherfield.org/programmes/exhibition/invisible-forces