[spectre] Pixelache Helsinki 2013 Announcement / Call for Programme Planner

andrew paterson agryfp2 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 22:06:07 CET 2012

/// Pixelache Helsinki 2013 Festival

Pixelache Festival 2013 is entitled ‘Facing North – Facing South’ and is
organized as a dual-city event, both in Helsinki and Tallinn during 16-19
May 2013.
If every North as its South and every South its North, this is an
invitation to alternately face North and South from multiple points of
views.

With this theme, Pixelache expands it’s on-going 'Signals from the South'
programme, that has focused on presenting media, art and technology
projects from Africa, South America and Asia since 2009. It explores
further the relationships between South and North, looking at these notions
from various perspectives, including geo-political, cultural, economical,
both on global, regional and local levels.

>From a regional point of view, organizing part of the festival in Tallinn
poses the question of what it means to bring these cultural actions across
the water. Indeed, not only geographically, but also economically, Tallinn
is still in the South of Helsinki. The term 'Talsinki' has in the past
often been used by Estonians "to imply that the commercial centre of
Tallinn has become the ‘Helsinkians’ living room" (Wikipedia). On the other
hand the biggest group of immigrants to Finland is Estonians, especially
construction workers. There is an economical benefit from relocating South.
Shall we and how, deal with this dissimmetry as a festival? Can we build
something meaningful between both capitals, that would contribute realizing
the Talsinki/Hellina twin city ambition as envisioned by the think-tank
Demos Helsinki and the two cities themselves?

>From a global point of view, relations between commonly understood North
and South are even more complex and the problematics raised by cooperation
issues are multifaceted. Various non-western initiatives have been
encountered through the Pixelache Network during the past years and also
contributed to disseminating approaches strongly relying on the potential
of open source, D.I.W.O. and peer-learning practices. In that context, both
individuals and Pixelache Network nodes have been exploring two-way
exchanges and on-going processes. At the time when many countries in Europe
today are also starting to face the same water, energy and food dependency
crisis than in the South, more than ever we should explore the ideas and
initiatives emerging in the South and imagine new ways to tackle together
these common issues.

/// Call for Programme Planner

We are looking for organisations, groups or individuals who would like to
organise a seminar and an exhibition for the 'Facing North – Facing South'
programme of Pixelache in Helsinki in 2013, with the hope that the
programme will bring interesting insights and points of views to the
question of North-South relationships.

The selected organisation, group or individual will be given a production
budget and a fee for the realization of the 'Facing North – Facing South'
seminar and exhibition.

Applications will be reviewed in early December by a committee consisting
of Marion Louisgrand (Kër Thiossane, Dakar, Senegal), Raquel Renno
(Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora, Brasil), Peter Kuria Githinji
(Shalin, Helsinki, Finland), Mathieu Marguerin (Mal au Pixel, Paris,
France), Vanessa Gocksch (Intermundos, Santa Marta, Colombia), Reet Aus
(Trash to Trend, Tallinn, Estonia). Facilitation and production of the
selected proposal will be carried out with support of the Pixelache
Helsinki office, beginning in mid-December 2012.

Application deadline: 5.12.2012

MORE INFO & APPLICATION FORM
http://www.pixelache.ac/helsinki/festival-2013/