[spectre] New podcast: INTERRUPTIONS #9. Meta-records

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 23 14:48:18 CET 2012

*New podcast: INTERRUPTIONS #9. Meta-records
*
Curated by the *gramophonic* collector Anki Toner

A selection of records that mention, replicate, utilise or study the
phenomena of vinyl, the record player and/or recordings.

Link:
http://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/interruptions_9_anki_toner_metadiscos/capsula
Playlist: http://rwm.macba.cat/uploads/20121123/09Interruptions_eng.pdf

One of the phenomena covered in my collection of gramophonic objects is the
dislocation between the object that contains the information (the record)
and the information it contains. For this reason, my collection contains
records that mention, replicate, utilise or study the phenomena of vinyl,
the record player and/or studio recordings. That is to say, records that
are, in some way, meta-records.

For purposes of clarification I have divided the collection into the six
following categories:

A) Pure meta-records: records that speak about themselves and/or records
that simulate the effects of a record.
B) Derived records: records that speak about other records, gramophones or
recordings.
C) Scratch: the manipulation of vinyl as an instrument.
D) Surface noise: the sound of vinyl used as an instrument.
E) Record players without records: the sound of a record player used as an
instrument.
F) Locked grooves records (loops): vinyls that have been created to be used
as instruments.
*Anki Toner, 2012.*
*
*
A conversation with Anki Toner on his sound collection is also available
here (only in Spanish):
http://rwm.macba.cat/en/extra/memorabilia_anki_toner_conversation/capsula

Follow us at http://twitter.com/Radio_Web_MACBA