[spectre] CALL: NODE - Forum for Digital Arts, Feb 2013, Frankfurt

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Wed Oct 10 13:43:03 CEST 2012

OPEN CALL FOR PROPOSALS

NODE - Forum for Digital Arts
February 11th – 17th, 2013

http://node13.vvvv.org/

We are happy to annouce the 3rd edition of the NODE - Forum for Digital
Arts in Frankfurt. NODE is a festival for digital arts and culture. It’s
a week long rush of A/V performances and exhibitions by artists of the
digital and analog media scene from all around the world, packed with
hands on vvvv workshops where you’ll learn how to build stuff, and
lectures and panels by artists, scientist and technologists reporting on
their work, the arts and their implications on our culture and society.

Again NODE13 will be brimming with hands-on workshops and tons of
chances to get together and talk about the tools that we use in our
everyday creative coding life.

NODE13 comes with the keynote 'THE RULES'. Within the exhibition and the
symposium we are seeking to investigate the correlation of working with
'rules' of the computer and the transformative processes in our society.

Please nominate projects for NODE13! You can submit your own projects –
or projects of others that you consider groundbreaking in the field of NODE.

NODE13’s keynote is THE RULES, but this Open Call is not limited to this.

'THE RULES' in this context are first of all the rules of the computer:
software. We design using software but we also design software itself.
Computer code, the rules a computer lives by, has become an autonomous
medium during the past decades. It now exists without refentiality,
without having to 'be good for' anything.

At the same time we can observe that everything dependant on computer
rules is being transformed. Software leaves its initial medium and
changes the way we organise knowledge, the way we produce food, interact
and organise ourselves politically. New software produces new ways of
behaviour. It seems the regularity of software seeps into the 'real
world', thus changing it.

'THE RULES' also investigates the correlation of working with 'rules' of
the computer and the transformative processes in our society. We
discover an interrelationship between the practical, aesthetical work
with the computer and the alteration of our reality. The design, and use
of rules already has a political dimension. 'Generative design' is not
only a question of aesthetics and the search for a new 'operating system
society', not only one of politics.

Thinking of rules as shapeable, cosmo-plastic material is not new, but
since the predictions of its early years and the 'practical
illustrations' of the 2000s a natural interpenetration of reality and
rules has been established, that gives new arguments to the discourse on
software and its rules. The search for an understanding of these
processes and an appropriate terminology is ubiquitous, which manifests
these days in the debate about 'New Aesthetic'. NODE13 though tries not
to limit 'THE RULES' to an aesthetic perspective, but to facilitate also
a scientific and theoretical investigation through the symposium
accompanying the exhibition.

Further info: http://node13.vvvv.org/