[spectre] FIELDS - 1st-round Call for Proposals (Riga 2014)

Rasa Smite rasa at rixc.lv
Thu Jan 31 20:18:00 CET 2013

Hello, on Spectre list!

while we are still in Transmediale, we would like to announce first
round call for forthcoming exhibition project FIELDS, which we -
Raitis Smits, Armin Medosch and myself are co-curating for Riga 2014 -
European Cultural Capital programme

deadline for 1st round proposals - May 31, 2013!

best,
Rasa

-------->

FIELDS

Call for Participation

Fields starts from the assumption that the changing role of art in
society is one where it becomes a critical interloper in patterns of
social, scientific, and technological transformations. The range of
practices which were once subsumed under terms such as media art,
digital art, art and technology, art, and science have experienced
such growth and diversification that no single term can work as a
signpost any more. Fields is about mapping those expanded fields of
artistic practices which are contextual seedbeds for ideas and
practices aiming at overcoming the crisis of the present, inventing
new avenues for future developments by bringing together traditionally
separated domains. Fields is about new ecological and transversal
trends in art, outlining potential future trajectories for
multifarious types of activities that merge politics, technology,
ecology, gender, semiology.

Which Fields act as catalysts and underpin those artistic practices
which offer the greatest potential for social change towards more
imaginative and sustainable ways of living? Which pre-cursors in the
last 30-40 years did exist and what can we learn from those often
untold stories? Areas that we will be looking at include but are not
restricted to

* real fields, fields as in agricultural fields, works relating to
fields, food growing, water, seeds, plant ecologies and
communications; eco-activism, agro-socio-political projects
* field as metaphor, semiotic field theories and meta-field theories;
work as decoding and recoding of cultural patterns of social use of
images;
* electromagnetic fields: and their experimental epistomologies
(quantum field theory); notion of relational field (Burnham 1968); the
epistemological implications of quantum theory in art
* gendered fields, field as a psychological relation, psychological
and psycho-analytical field theories
* field theories of perception
* social field theories, theories of masses and of emotional
'contagion'; relational field theories, notion of culture as a
relational field

If you have an art or artistic-research project that fits one of those
categories or where you feel that it extends this concept, please send
a short description to: fields at rixc.lv

This is a first round call, the deadline is 31st of May, 2013.

In 2013 we aim at organising a number of workshops and event,
beginning with Transmediale 2013, where the initial matrix of Fields
gets jointly developed. This work is a step to the launch of the final
exhibition Fields from May 15 to August 03 as part of Riga Culture
Capital 2014, at Arsenals Exhibition Hall of National Art Museum in
Riga. Fields is co-curated by Armin Medosch, Rasa Smite and Raitis
Smits, and will get produced by RIXC in collaboration with a growing
number of networks and partners.