[spectre] Deadline Extended - Call for Papers: Art of Resilience (Acoustic Space No. 12)

Daina Silina daina at rixc.lv
Thu Mar 14 14:23:45 CET 2013

Dear Spectre,

The deadline for call for papers for the next volume of *Acoustic Space
journal (No. 12)* has been extended to*March 30, 2013*!
This time the peer-reviewed journal will be devoted to the theme *"art
of resilience"*. It will come out this Autumn, October 2013, to be
presented at Media Art Histories 2013: RENEW conference in Riga.

Please find detailed call below!

Best regards,

Daina Silin,a / RIXC
http://www.mediaarthistory.org
http://rixc.lv/13
http://renewable.rixc.lv

*CALL FOR PAPERS**
**Acoustic Space No. 12: ART OF RESILIENCE*

Art of Resilience is the theme of the next "Acoustic Space" (Volume No.
12), peer-reviewed journal for interdisciplinary research on art,
science, technology and society.

The conference exploring the topic -- Art of Resilience -- took place
during Art+Communication 2012 festival in Riga, October 5-6, 2012
(http://rixc.lv/12). The forthcoming publication will include papers
presented at this conference, but will not be limited to it and is open
for contributions by other authors. It will be published in English.

The previous publication with the title: Techno-Ecologies (Acoustic
Space No 11, 2012) - for first time came out in English only (before it
was bilingual publication). The No. 11, as well as other previous
issues, are now available via amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/Techno-Ecologies-Acoustic-Space-Rasa-Smite/dp/9934822989

** Theme: Art of Resilience*
... "The future is waiting right around the corner and we are those, who
shall shape it... All our decisions and actions affect our future lives
and surroundings... To be able to change something, we need an
imagination..." (Guna Elizabete, 13-year-old participant of "Art of
Resilience - Dialogue with the City" workshop led by Lina Kusaite and
Michel Bauwens, Riga, Oct 6, 2012)

* * *

Today art is leaving its autonomous position behind the society's quest
for a sustainable future. Artists who once were in vanguard of exploring
digital frontiers, today again are among the first ones who are actively
engaged in looking for other ways how to make the world more sustainable.

Resilience is one of the key tactics that helps people to undergo
unstable, uncertain times. The idea of a resilience is used as a guiding
theme and as a point of departure for the discussions with which we aim
at fostering deeper understanding of social, cultural and ecological, as
well as technological sustainability issues.
We are questioning: How to enhance resilience - our capability to cope
with today's complex situation that has occurred in the result of rapid
'techno-sciences' development? Does art play a role of a 'catalyst' in
this quest for sustainability, if it keeps actively establishing new
connections with other fields - science and technology, architecture and
design, rural infrastructure development and urban planning, social
networking and global engineering? How these emergent art practices that
are bridging not only different fields but also exploiting resilience
experiences from different times and different cultures, are
contributing towards developing a successful scenario for the future world?

** Call for papers*

We welcome submissions - articles, conceptual and artistic texts,
research papers and visual contributions - from artists, theorists,
scientists, researchers and other lateral thinkers who are engaged with
issues of social and ecological sustainability, and who are interested
in a deeper understanding of technology.

** Deadline*

Extended deadline for full papers - *March 30, 2013*.

Length of texts: between 2500 and 8000 words (i.e. 20 000 - 45 000
characters). Submitted texts should include: 1) short abstract (ca. 250
words, i.e. 1500 characters), 2) 5 - 6 keywords, and 3) short bio of the
author (ca. 100 words, i.e. 800 characters). References should be in APA
style. Language for submissions: English.

The publication will come out in October, 2013, and it will be presented
at the Media Art Histories 2013: RENEW conference / Art+Communication
2013 festival, October 8-11, 2013.

** Contact and submissions*

Please send papers to the editor:
Dr. Rasa Smite <rasa (at) rixc.lv>

** The Acoustic Space journal*
was initially founded in 1998 by E-Lab/RIXC (Riga) for new media art,
network culture, and creative explorations within digitally networked
environments and electro-acoustic spaces.
Since 2007 Acoustic Space comes out as a peer-reviewed international
journal for transdisciplinary research on art, science, technology and
society. It is published by Riga's Center for New Media Culture RIXC in
collaboration with Art Research Laboratory (MPLab.lv) of Liepaja University.

The previous editions of Acoustic Space journals are now available via
amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&field-author=Rasa%20Smite&search-alias=books&sort=relevancerank
or, you can also order them directly form RIXC by sending an e-mail
request to: daina (at) rixc.lv.