[spectre] New Industries Festival, HMKV at the Dortmunder U, until 26 January 2014

Arns HMKV Inke inke.arns at hmkv.de
Mon Oct 7 16:11:04 CEST 2013

Dear colleagues and friends,
dear Spectres,

I noticed that I did not send any information to Spectre on the New Industries Festival so far. Here it is, finally!
Hoping that some of you will be able to join us --

All the best,
Inke Arns

--

NEW INDUSTRIES FESTIVAL
HMKV at the Dortmunder U

--

INDUSTRIAL (Research)
Research Department
HMKV at the Dortmunder U
14 September 2013 – 26 January 2014
curated by Inke Arns, Thibaut de Ruyter

INDUSTRIAL (Research) asks how the industry has affected people and how music, literature and art reacted to this violence described by Horkheimer and Adorno in 1944. “The might of industrial society is lodged in men’s minds”, they wrote – for good, we might add. One has to imagine this “might” as a disciplination of the body and the mind, a huge industrial machine that adapts the human body – through disciplination, standardisation and de-individualisation – to its needs and conditions until it functions as effectively as possible. Echoing this vision, Heiner Müller observed in The Hamlet Machine (1977): “I want to be a machine. Arms to grasp legs to walk no pain no thoughts”.

INDUSTRIAL (Research) consists of a 22 m long table with more than 80 books, 30 records, 15 videos and many objects, by and about: Symphony of Sirens (Baku 1922), Metropolis (1927), Magnitogorsk (1929), Bernd & Hilla Becher, Kraftwerk, Ruhrgebiet, Joy Division, Throbbing Gristle, Einstürzende Neubauten, Laibach, Bhopal, Unionbrauerei, Socheaux, Japan, Eisenhüttenstadt, Leipzig, Bytom, Detroit, Ekatarinburg, China, etc.

--

REQUIEM FOR A BANK
Group show
HMKV at the Dortmunder U
14 September 2013 – 26 January 2014
curated by Fabian Saavedra-Lara

The exhibition Requiem for a Bank examines the new forms of industry, with a particular focus on the development of global financial markets since 1972 – a time when inflation, rising unemployment and successive oil crises combined with the emergence of new information technologies to give birth to a new kind of financial economy that was no longer dependent on real goods or services.

With: Claire Fontaine (FR), Ilona Gaynor (UK), Goldin+Senneby (SE), Toril Johannessen (NO), Jens Jarisch (with Dirk von Lowtzow) (DE), Anja Kirschner and David Panos (DE/GR), Carmen Losmann (DE), Aernout Mik (NL), Zoe Papadopoulou (UK/CY), Tobias Revell (UK), Hans Richter (DE), RYBN (FR), Andrés Senra (ES), Urban-Think Tank (VE/CH), Gillian Wearing (UK), Sislej Xhafa (Kosovo), and others

--

AXEL BRAUN: To the benefit of a society of tomorrow for which we build today
Installation
HMKV at the Dortmunder U
14 September 2013 – 26 January 2014
curated by Fabian Saavedra-Lara

Axel Braun’s project Zugunsten einer Gesellschaft von morgen, für die wir heute schon bauen (To the benefit of the society of tomorrow for which we build today) explores the history and architecture of the WestLB.

--

MACHINA EX: HEDGE KNIGHTS
Live-Adventure-Game

An abandoned building becomes the setting for a live adventure game. Imagine the office of an overworked trader in Dortmund’s Unionviertel. Market rates are ticking by on the wall. Suddenly, an alarm bell rings: prices are crashing! The spectators must step in: playing a point-and-click computer game, they can explore the office as a playground, picking up, testing, collecting, using and combining objects as the room reacts to the changes.

--

JENS HEITJOHANN: I PROMISE, I AM THE FUTURE
Performance tour

The streets of Dortmund’s Unionviertel become the site of a participatory encounter as seven inhabitants of Dortmund with a special relationship to money, debt and guilt take participants to places which have played an important role in their personal history.

--

For more information check out:
http://www.hmkv.de/_en/programm/programmpunkte/2013/Ausstellungen/2013_New_Industries_Festival.php

--

More to come in January 2014 (INVISIBLE PLAYGROUND, NEW INDUSTRIES CONFERENCE) ...

------------------
Dr. Inke Arns
Artistic Director
Hartware MedienKunstVerein (HMKV) at the Dortmunder U
Leonie-Reygers-Terrasse, 44137 Dortmund
Office: Hoher Wall 15, 44137 Dortmund, Germany
T + 49 - 231 - 496642-0 (direct line -11)
F + 49 - 231 - 496642-29
M + 49 - 176 - 430 627 93
inke.arns at hmkv.de
www.hmkv.de

After having been nominated for the 4th time, HMKV receives Honorable Mention
in the context of the ADKV-ART COLOGNE Prize for Kunstvereine 2013.
Read more: http://www.kunstvereine.de/web/index.php?id=20

HMKV's exhibition Sounds Like Silence selected as "Exceptional Exhibition of
the Year 2012" by German section of AICA during the Venice Biennial 2013.
Read more: http://aica.kuk.net/english/meld/index.php?id=186

HMKV's book Sounds Like Silence (Leipzig: Spector Books) part of the 19
"Most Beautiful Swiss Books 2012". 454 books were submitted.
Read more: http://www.swissdesignawards.ch/beautifulbooks/2012/index.html?lang=en

NEW INDUSTRIES FESTIVAL
HMKV at the Dortmunder U and Union-Viertel/Rheinische Str.
14 September 2013 - 26 January 2014