[spectre] Conf: All About Imaging: Transactions 22-23 May 2014, London

{ brad brace } bbrace at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 11 01:15:44 CEST 2014

            _  |__   __| |          /_ |__ \| |
                      | __|   | | | (_) | |  __/ (__| |_
               __ | |  | | | |  __/  | |/ /_| | | | |
                   _  | |  | '_ \ / _ \  | | / /| '_ \| '__|

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project       >>>> posted since 1994 <<<<

           _  | |  | '_ \ / _ \  | | / /| '_ \| '__|
                 -_    | |  | |__   ___   | |  ) | |__  _ __
           _ |  __ \         (_)          | |

"A compassionate observer, { brad brace } forges a personal aesthetic in these
12hr-images infused with blank-sadness and a sense of mystery. What makes them both
new and significant is the fact that he organizes its contents in sequences, applying
the principles of cinematographic montage to fixed images."

Immaculate Perception: to be happy in gazing: with dead will, free from the grip and
greed of selfishness -- cold and ashy-grey all over, but with intoxicated
moon-eyes... Extraordinary Rendition. Manifest Destiny. Abyssal Plain. Living Truth.
Sublime Madness.

 You begin to sense the byshadows that stretch from the awe of global
 dominance. How the intersecting systems help pull us apart, leaving
 us vague, drained, docile, soft in our inner discourse, willing to be
 shaped, to be overwhelmed -- easy retreats, half beliefs. Works of art
 are complex formal interventions within discursive traditions and their
 myriad filiations. These interventions are defined precisely by their
 incomparable capacity to trace the dynamics of historical process in
 paradoxical gestures of simultaneously prognostic and mnemonic
 temporalities.
                      | __|   | | | (_) | |  __/ (__| |_
              _  | |  | '_ \ / _ \  | | / /| '_ \| '__|
                   _| |__) | __ ___  _  ___  ___| |_
                 |_  ___/ '__/ _ \| |/ _ \/ __| __|
              |_| _  |_|  \___/| |\___|\___|\__|
                           _          _/ |
                             _        |__/

`round-the-clock posting of sequenced hypermodern imagery from { brad
brace }. The hypermodern minimizes the familiar, the known, the
recognizable; it suspends identity, relations and history. This
discourse, far from determining the locus in which it speaks, is avoiding
the ground on which it could find support. It is trying to operate a
decentering that leaves no privilege to any center.

                       The 12-hour ISBN JPEG Project
                       -----------------------------
                          began December 30, 1994

  Time-honoured, pointless Hypermodern Imagery... posted/mailed every 12 hours...
a spectral, trajective alignment for the 00`s! A continuum of minimalist masks
in the face of catastrophe; conjuring up transformative metaphors for the everyday...
A poetic reversibility of exclusive events: visual haiku...

        A post-rhetorical, continuous, apparently random sequence of imagery...
genuine gritty, greyscale...  corruptable, compact, collectable and compelling
convergence. The vernacular voluptuousness of the grey imminence: the art of making
the other disappear. Continual visual impact; an optical drumming, sculpted in
duration, on the endless present of the Net.

  An extension of the printed ISBN-Book (0-9690745) series... critically
unassimilable... imagery is gradually acquired, selected and re-sequenced
over time...  ineluctable, vertiginous connections. The 12hr dialtone...

		   [ see http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/netcom/books.txt ]

KEYWORDS:

>> Disconnected, disjunctive, distended, de-centered, de-composed, dark, despondent,
   ambiguous, augmented, ambilavent, annoying, homogeneous, reckless,
	spontaneous...
>> Multi-faceted mandala, meditative, metaphysical, oblique, obsessive,
	obscure, obdurate, unfocused-attention, all-inclusive ground: god...
>> Promulgated, personal, permeable, prolonged, polymorphous, provocative,
   poetic, plural, perverse, potent, prophetic, pathological, pointless,
   private, peripheral, precocious, porous, placeholders...
>> Robust, real, redundant, resplendent, revolutionary, redeeming...
>> Emergent, evolving, eccentric, eclectic, egregious, eternal, exciting,
   entertaining, evasive, entropic, erotic, entrancing, enduring, ergodic,
   expansive, exhaustive, encyclopedic, enlinked, enlaced, enamoured...

        Every 12 hours, another!...  view them, re-post `em, save `em,
trade `em, print `em, even publish them...

Here`s how:

~ Set www-links to ->  http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/12hr.html
                   ->  http://bradbrace.net/12hr.html
                   ->  http://bbrace.net/12hr.html
		   ->  twitter, facebook, flickr, tumblr, posterous, delicious

  Look for the 12-hr-icon. Heavy traffic may require you to specify files
  more than once! Anarchie, Fetch, CuteFTP, TurboGopher...

~ Download from ->  ftp.rdrop.com   /pub/users/bbrace
  Download from ->  ftp.eskimo.com  /home/bbrace
  Download from ->  hotline://artlyin.ftr.va.com.au
  Download from ->  http://12hr.noemata.net/

  * Remember to set tenex or binary. Get 12hr.jpeg

~ E-mail -> If you only have access to email, then you can use FTPmail to
  do essentially the same thing. Send a message with a body of 'help' to
  the server address nearest you:
  *
  ftpmail at ccc.uba.ar                    ftpmail at cs.uow.edu.au
  ftpmail at ftp.uni-stuttgart.de          ftpmail at ftp.Dartmouth.edu
  ftpmail at ieunet.ie                     ftpmail at src.doc.ic.ac.uk
  ftpmail at archie.inesc.pt               ftpmail at ftp.sun.ac.za
  ftpmail at ftp.sunet.se                  ftpmail at ftp.luth.se
  ftpmail at NCTUCCCA.edu.tw               ftpmail at oak.oakland.edu
  ftpmail at sunsite.unc.edu               ftpmail at decwrl.dec.com
  ftpmail at census.gov
  bitftp at plearn.bitnet                  bitftp at dearn.bitnet
  bitftp at vm.gmd.de                      bitftp at plearn.edu.pl
  bitftp at pucc.princeton.edu             bitftp at pucc.bitnet
  *                                     *

~ Mirror-sites requested! Archives too!
  The latest new jpeg will always be named, 12hr.jpeg
  Average size of images is only 45K.
  *
  Perl program to mirror ftp-sites/sub-directories:
  src.doc.ic.ac.uk:/packages/mirror
  *

~ Postings to usenet newsgroups:
  12hr
  alt.12hr
  alt.binaries.pictures.12hr
  alt.binaries.pictures.misc
  alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.misc

* * Ask your system's news-administrator to carry these groups!
  (There are also usenet image browsers: TIFNY, PluckIt, Picture Agent,
    PictureView, Extractor97, NewsRover, Binary News Assistant, EasyNews)
* * A secondary stream of the sequenced imagery is now uploaded/repeated:
	about a thousand scans behind for those missing earlier offerings.

~ This interminable, relentless (online) sequence of imagery began in
earnest on December 30, 1994. The basic structure of the project has been
over thirty years in the making. While the specific sequence of
photographs has been presently orchestrated for many years` worth of
12-hour postings, I will undoubtedly be tempted to tweak the ongoing
publication with additional new interjected imagery. Each 12-hour image
is like the turning of a page; providing ample time for reflection,
interruption, and assimilation.

~ The sites listed above also contain information on other cultural
projects and sources.

~ A very low-volume, moderated mailing list for announcements and occasional
commentary related to this project has been established. To subscribe to 12-list,
simply send a message with the word "subscribe" in the Subject: field to
12-list-request at eskimo.com

 --
 	 The image was to make nothing visible but their connection with
 	 one another by space and air, yet each surrounded by the unique

 --

 Big Grey Bricks: This project also serves as a rehearsal for its
 culmination as a series of offset-printed volumes: each 800+ full-bleed

 --

This project remains untainted by corrupt corporate and glib government
art-subsidies. Some opportunities still exist for financially assisting the

Other supporters receive rare copies of the first three web-offset printed
or by mailed cheque/check: $5/mo $50/yr. Art-institutions must pay $12K
for each image retained longer than 12 hours. Should this work be exhibited,
the curator/administrators must be crammed naked in an open metal cage and
mercilessly poked with sharp sticks for the duration of the installation.

--

ISBN is International Standard Book Number. JPEG and GIF are types of
image files. Get the text-file, 'pictures-faq' to learn how to view or

--

(c) Credit appreciated. Copyleft

1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007
2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

<bbrace at eskimo.com>