[spectre] Sight & Sound 2014: SCIENCE FACTION

Art - Eastern Bloc art at easternbloc.ca
Tue Apr 29 23:04:15 CEST 2014

Dear Spectre,

(sorry for cross-posts)

*SIGHT & SOUND Festival / 6th edition: SCIENCE FACTION*
20 - 25 MAY 2014
Eastern Bloc, Montreal, Canada

For full program / more info:
http://sightandsoundfestival.ca/<http://sightandsoundfestival.ca/en/more-info>(and
see below)
http://www.easternbloc.ca/ <http://sightandsoundfestival.ca/en/more-info>

===================

This year, the theme of Sight & Sound is *Science Faction* - a multifaceted
observation of a world undergoing profound change. Science Faction is about
fear of the unknown; but also, because, inarguably, the idea of
communicating with otherworldly beings or robots overpowering humans in a
dystopian futurist society are images forever embedded in the consciousness
of everyday people. Science Faction is about the sheer power of the
imaginary. For over a century, the works of sci-fi authors have captivated
a modern audience and prompted it to speculate about the future and the
near-future, and to contemplate the implications of present-day
metamorphoses—technological, biological, or sociological.

Today, it is taken for granted that technology is neither good nor bad, nor
that future necessarily means progress. But in our quest to gain control
over technology, for human to dominate machine, we neglect to recognize
that which is human in the machine. That our human traits – weaknesses,
strengths, downfalls, ambitions – are candidly reflected in the machines
and programs we create. Political, economic, social power is – indirectly
or not – manifested in the technologies we imagine, on paper or film, in
the lab or boardroom.

Consequently, we develop bigger, faster information networks and computer
systems, which appear to think and react autonomously, yet we forget that
those who champion technological revolution – mechanical, televisual,
digital, post-digital – have the most power to leverage in its wake. So,
with Science Faction, we ask the artist to suggest their rendition of a
mutant future, their idea of a radical cyborg, their interpretation of a
human-machine meltdown. And, we ask the spectator to embrace the marginal
legalities and othered ontologies of those visions put forth.

=================

=================

*FULL FESTIVAL PROGRAM*

PERFORMANCES

Festival Opening
Yoshi Soedoka & Daron Murphy: Sibyl

Arcangelo Constantini: Photonotube
Ally Mobbs: Turntablism for the Hard of Hearing
Christian Faubel, Ralf Schreiber, Tina Tonagel: Monochrome Layering

Leslie Garcia: Bio-Box
Shu Lea Cheang: UKI
Yan Jun: Feedback Improvisation

Quimera Rosa & Transnoise : Akelarre Cyborg 2.0

Dopplereffekt: Dopplereffekt Live
Mélissa Gagné (Babi Audi): Sochi Snow Club Dead
Le Révélateur: Extreme Events
Jacob Ciocci & David Wightman: Extreme Animals

PANEL DISCUSSIONS / PRESENTATIONS

Beth Coleman: Keynote presentation
“La Trahison des images:” Science Fictions and Bodies Without Organs in the
Event Horizon of Ubiquitous Mediation

Whose Fictions? Upturning the Male Dystopian Narrative
Panelists: Adrienne Maree Brown, Skawennati Fragnito, Paula Pin, Maria
Mitsopoulou
Moderator: Erandy Vergara-Vargas

Biological Systems as Generative Models for the Future
Panelists: Eric Lewis, Erin Gee, Leslie Garcia, Sofian Audry
Moderator: Alessandro Delfanti

Stephen Rennicks: Science-Fiction & Early Techno

Towards a Bright Future or Distorted Present: Smokescreen Ethics of the
Military-
Industrial-Academic Complex
Panelists: Alejo Duque, Dominic Gagnon, Valérie Lamontagne
Moderator: Alexandre Castonguay

WORKSHOPS

15 – 18 May 2014
Astrovandalistas: La Sonora Telematica

20 – 21 May 2014
Alejo Duque: Pirate Radio Transmissions on Mikro-FM

Christian Faubel, Ralf Schreiber, Tina Tonagel: Discorobots

Yan Jun: Chewing Music

Hanah Epstein, Alex Leitch, Sagan Yee: VideoVideoJam

24 – 25 May 2014
Quimera Rosa & Transnoise : The Body as Post-Gendred Sound Instrument

24 – 25 May 2014
Anne Goldenberg, Pascale Gustin, Valentina Vuksic, Karine Rathle : Between
0 and 1

INSTALLATIONS

Erin Sexton : Crystalline Domain
Darsha Hewitt : Feedback Babies
Christian Faubel : Crystal Forming Robots on Overhead
Ally Mobbs : Turntablism for the Hard of Hearing

Arcangelo Constantini : Filed of Grooves (Campo de surcos)
Leslie Garcia : Pulsu(m) Plantae v.2

Astrovandalistas : La Sonora Telematica
Bradford Kessler : Primum Mobile Network / Accident Study / Saving the
Planet
Jonathan Bonneau : Odysseyland

INTERVENTIONS

24 – 25 May 2014
Hannah Epstein, Sagan Yee, Alex Leitch : PsXXYborg

20 – 25 May 2014
Alejo Duque: PirateBlocRadio

Hope to see you in Montreal in 3 weeks!

www.sightandsoundfestival.ca<http://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sightandsoundfestival.ca%2F&h=aAQExTRWH&enc=AZMqrF_2UjTfdz7QxhYMgKnXi055jUMtpQT8cO_5Ta9fTcDkw80x3Ossb6aAHA0wybs&s=1>

Eliane Ellbogen
Directrice artistique | Artistic Director
www.easternbloc.ca
art at easternbloc.ca
+1.514.284.2106
7240 rue Clark, Montréal, QC, H2R 2Y3