[spectre] New Podcast: MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH.... Andy Votel. Part II.

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 13:02:21 CET 2014

New Podcast: MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH.... Andy Votel. Part II.

A selection of records that use eccentric voice manipulation techniques;
from

human existentialism and sound poetry to electronic, mechanical and
computer

distortion.

Link:
http://rwm.macba.cat/en/research/memorabilia-andy-votel-collection/capsula

Playlist:
http://rwm.macba.cat/uploads/20140113/Memorabilia_andy_votel_partII_eng.pdf

“The Memorabilia mixtape for Ràdio Web MACBA, which I have called Orator
Verbis Eccentrix (or Vocal Eclipses of Art), is based on what I consider to
be a strong concept that encapsulates all of the aforementioned facets. All
the collaged records on this mix are united by the prominent use of
eccentric vocal manipulations of some sort – ranging from human
existentialism, sound poetry, electronic distortions or mechanical and
computerised degrading. Many of the records are free from language, purely
melodic, insanely repetitive or onomatopoeic; other tracks are lyrically
indecipherable while all of them are as challenging as they are enjoyable
IMO. When I first started buying obscure records as a competitive teenage
hip-hop producer (in a crew called Violators of the English Language) it
quickly became apparent that I had to leave my comfort

zone, which very quickly led to predominantly buying foreign music…” Andy
Votel

Previous episode: MEMORABILIA. COLLECTING SOUNDS WITH... Andy Votel. Part
I: http://rwm.macba.cat/en/research/memorabilia-andy-votel/capsula

Enjoy!