[spectre] Reminder: Piratbyrån and Friends @Furtherfield Opens this Saturday 03 May 2014

marc garrett marc.garrett at furtherfield.org
Thu May 1 11:32:01 CEST 2014

Hi Rob,

I was at the Furtherfield space yesterday & Met for the first time (in
the flesh), Magnus Eriksson & Geraldine Juárez who are part of the
(many) of Piratbyrån (The Bureau of Piracy). They are working with us to
set things up for this weekend. It struck me how fresh they are and
alive as human beings, and so full compassion in their dedication to
change culture through their practices, in art, activism & technology.
Piratbyrån also consists of many different people from all walks of
like, and they shows a real sense for emancipation.

They seem to be of a younger generation than me - and quite scarily most
of them on average about 10-15 years younger. However, this gives me
much hope. They are a part of diverse and younger generation who deeply
understand that art is not just about the self, or conforming to the art
market and its brands, they disrupt the script and consciously hack
around these societal, blockages. They are passionate, intelligent,
alive and free in their hearts and minds. They take risks and live out
what they believe, and this, I respect deeply.

I am learning a few extra tricks from this infectious bunch. They have
reminded what’s really important in life. For me, art is like a radical
enlightenment - not a religious thing, but a grounding egalitarian and
democratic force as core values, and these connections are strong
between radical enlightenment (look up ‘A Revolution of the Mind’ by
Jonathan Israel), Hacktivism, Situationism, Media Art practice and
networked art, alongside punk and DIY culture. This is my home, and
where my best friends live, whether it be through the networks we all
use, or in their writings and thoughts, or through their critically
aware and engaged, artistic practice, at various levels it is not fixed.

Anyway, back to work ;-)

wishing you well.

marc