[spectre] Are rating systems a placeholder for unions in a neo-lib world?

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Sat May 24 17:02:04 CEST 2014

dear Spectres,

some years ago (most people here might have forgotten anyway) I've
lamented my bad experience in contributing to the Piksel media art
festival in Bergen. At that time I thought of proposing a guideline of
sorts and hoped in the birth of some kind of unionism for all those of
us who are content producers and end up being milked and thrown away by
aggregators of sorts. I'm sure many of you out there have to go through
such experiences.

Today I've found this http://www.promoterdb.com
which might be of some interest.

I'm not sure if this will work as expected and I'm not affiliated with
it in any way. However it might be interesting to experiment, filling in
some feedback about the good experiences at least.

>From a unionist perspective it is somehow sad that the overall decay of
labour based relationships within content producers and art institutions
have lead to resort to such disgregating and passive methods.
But then what else?

Are on-line rating systems the place-holder for labour unions in a
neo-lib world?

ciao

--
http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: 6113 D89C A825 C5CE DD02  C872 73B3 5DA5 4ACB 7D10