[spectre] Arts Council adds new gagging clause to NPO contracts

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Mon Sep 22 16:40:08 CEST 2014

..on Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 03:12:23PM +0100, marc garrett wrote:
> Hi Heath,
>
> >the arts council scapegoated irational.org instead
> >of supporting it as is its mandate
>
> Your experience with the Arts Council sounds terrible.
>
> The ACE response at the bottom of the article seems to say their
> main concern is about misappropriation of public funds. But what
> does this really mean, it could mean anything, what examples do they
> have that we can look at?
>
> Surely we are entering a kind of totalitarian initiative reflecting
> an arts version of Minority report-- a kind of panopticon of the
> arts, where concerns based on losing one's funding creates a
> perpetual condition of fear, therefore self-censorship.

Sadly I saw all this before, in Australia in 2002/2003.

Colleagues and I made what many deemed as the first 'documentary video game',
one that drew attention to the Australian government's brutal refugee detention
centers. The project, 'Escape From Woomera', received AUD25000 in Australia
Council (federal) arts funding. This deeply irritated the Immigration Minister
Philip Ruddock (architect of the detention camps) who went on to publicly vent his
anger and calling his colleagues to act.

The result was a call for review of media arts funding in Australia, with many
rumours that a committee has since been put in place to screen candidate
projects to ensure they're not critical of the government:

    "Arts Minister Rod Kemp ominously asked the Council for an “urgent report”.
    Australia’s Human Rights Commissioner, Dr Sev Ozdowski, argued that “at best,
    this game is insensitive,” while The Age dedicated an entire editorial to
    condemning the game (“It's no game if life imitates art,” ran the headline).
    When the New Media Arts Board of the Australia Council was abolished a year
    later, dark rumours circulated that it was payback."

    http://www.abc.net.au/arts/blog/Daniel-Golding/videogames-politics-Escape-From-Woomera-130901/
    http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/29/1051381948773.html
    http://www.realtimearts.net/article/issue55/7103
    http://julianoliver.com/escapefromwoomera/

I, for one, was told twice I'll never receive funding from Australia again.

Cheers,

Julian