[spectre] CfP: Digital Memory and Techno-nostalgia

John Hopkins jhopkins at tech-no-mad.net
Sun Apr 12 16:26:18 CEST 2015

> same proposal to several Calls for Papers. All presenters must be TaPRA
> members, i.e. registered for the conference; this includes presentations
> given by Skype or other media broadcast even where the presenter may not
> physically attend the conference venue. If your paper has been accepted, yet
> you have not registered for the Conference by the final registration deadline
> of 14 August 2015, we will deem you no longer intend to participate and
> present at TaPRA 2015.

A note of further exclusion in the language of subtle brutality: pay to play.
How many working 'performance artists' not firmly attached to institutional life
-- academic or otherwise -- will find there to be a distinct imbalance between
forking over cash and the 'opportunity' for sharing their experiences?
Personally I would rather forego the price of institutionalization and instead
share freely in unstrictured encounters with those who would do the same.
Nothing personal against the convenors, but it's sad how rigid the steps to
social 'viability' have become within a meta-miasma of pseudo-creativity: the
very definition of artifice...

Dr. John Hopkins, BSc, MFA, PhD
grounded on a granite batholith
twitter: @neoscenes