[spectre] Looking back to a situation in '94

helen varley jamieson helen at creative-catalyst.com
Thu Apr 16 10:57:12 CEST 2015

one way around it is what we did with the CyPosium
(http://www.cyposium.net/); this event had a zero budget. we decided not
to waste our time & energies trying to find funding for a totally online
globally distributed symposium about cyberformance, & instead just got
on with it. all of the organisers and presenters volunteered their time
and resources, and it was free to attend (also no travel or
accommodation costs for anyone!). certainly it would have been nice to
be paid for our work, we all have to eat & pay bills; but this was a
situation where enough people wanted something to happen & just did it.
i think that everyone who participated felt it was very worthwhile to
them in myriad ways.

as an independent artist who is not attached to any institution, i often
have to decide whether to participate in conferences or not because of
the costs. every situation is different. i wouldn't pay to present my
work at an academic conference or an event that's got good funding, but
i often contribute at smaller self-organised events (which i tend to
enjoy much more than the bigger ones anyway) because it's something that
i want to support & the fees are usually realistic & flexible in terms
of participants' financial situations. for academic conferences, mostly
i have found that organisers do appreciate independent artists'
situation & if they really want you to be a part of it they will find a
way to make it work.

it is really important that artists & non-institutional participants are
included in conferences - usually more so for the academics than the
artists; the academics i've worked with recently certainly have regarded
participating artists as invaluable assets. attending conferences will
always have some degree of cost (even when i do get a fee, it's nowhere
near compensation for the time spent preparing, travelling, etc) but
good ones are an opportunity to exchange & network & learn. it's a
matter of chosing which ones are worth it & not being afraid to say no
to those that aren't.

h : )

--
helen varley jamieson