[spectre] Call for Participation: Ideal Spaces Symposium "Managed Spaces" (Karlsruhe, Germany)

Martin Reiche martin.reiche.art at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 22 21:48:09 CEST 2015

/// APOLOGIES FOR XPOSTING ///

Dear friends and colleagues,
I hereby forward this call for participation:

*Ideal Spaces Symposium: “Managed Spaces”*
24-26 September 2015
Rittnerthof
Karlsruhe, Germany

What does it mean to ‘manage’ space and time, as opposed to living in space
and time? As a precondition for the ‘human condition’ of today, we need to
reassert the following assumptions: that space and time are only managed –
like everything else since the market has conquered every niche of human
existence – and no longer lived. To live in space and time is also an
unavoidable premise that begs the question if we are human at all. Or more
precisely: what is this ‘human condition’ up to now?

Irrespective if we are consciously aware of it, we have all been living in
managed spaces that encompass ‘natural’ refuges and new spaces of sociality
provided for by diverse spatialities. Our aim is to establish a dialogue on
the relations between management and space, their mental backgrounds in
terms of the history of ideas and outcomes in terms of spatial practice.
This could manifest in ways related to urban environments, city planning,
conceptualizations of public space and the emergent phenomena encompassing
hybrids of ‘old’ physical spaces with ‘new’ social ones. New formulation of
the ‘human condition’ such as man-machine interfaces, world perception and
mythologies need to be reconsidered, especially through the proliferation
of global online platforms such as social media that influence the concepts
of hybrid cities, smart city applications and gamification of historical
contents within the cityscape.

What is lacking so far is a synopsis of these different topics, now
dispersed among different fields of research, and disciplines; and in-depth
investigation into their mental background in terms of a history of ideas
and practical outcomes. This symposium serves as a cooperation of ideas and
practice in which we visualize such ideal spaces through various
“artifacts” related to management and space. These artifacts in all its
potential manifestations will showcase an evolution of various formats
comprising of functionality, origins and characteristics in order to deepen
our understanding of what the new human condition might entail. With this,
we hope to create a symposium that would be interactive, integrate
experiential insights with technologies and incorporate trans-medial and
storytelling platforms, so that a collaborative authoring process will
emerge.

*Personal Statement*

Please submit a personal statement of not more than 300 words, or in other
formats such as images, film music, to info at idealspaces.org.The intent of
this submission is to deviate from the traditional abstract, ie. the
purpose is not to prove your eligibility, but to facilitate your
involvement within the focus of the symposium. Hence, please feel free to
be as creative as you deem fit.

*Ideal Spaces Working Group*

Ulrich Gehmann: Editor-in-Chief of New Frontiers in Spatial Concepts (
http://ejournal.uvka.de/spatialconcepts/) KIT; head of working group
Formatting of Social Spaces, KIT (University of Karlsruhe, Dep. of
History), Karlsruhe/Germany

Matthias Wölfel: Professor in Interactive Media, Furtwangen University,
Furtwangen/Germany

Desmond Wee: Professor of Tourism Sciences and Spatial Theories,
Karlshochschule International University, Karlsruhe/Germany

Michael Johansson, Associate Professor for Design and Computer Science,
Kristianstad University, Kristianstad/Sweden

Martin Reiche, Media Artist and Independent Researcher, Berlin/Germany

Marco Zampella: Lecturer of Multimedia, 3D, and film, University of Applied
Sciences Karlsruhe (HfG), Karlsruhe/Germany

Katerina Diamantaki: Researcher of Communication & Media, Open University
of Cyprus, Larnaka/Cyprus