[spectre] Mechanisms of Exclusion: “We Are All Faceless Mobs Now, Dawg.”

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 12:54:11 CET 2015

Sorry for any cross posting...

Mechanisms of Exclusion: “We Are All Faceless Mobs Now, Dawg.”

New article on Furtherfield by Mez Breeze.

Mez Breeze examines the inner workings of our contemporary internet rage
machine to identify its social and psychological causes.

"Today’s online spaces are communication minefields. When interacting in
multiplayer games or social media niches, networks come drenched in
reactivity bile. And although we might seem to bile-dilute, instead we
intellectually saw at each other through a polite veneer. Here, civil
discourse is label-trotted. Discourse bile may also erupt in
balls-to-the-wall screaming matches. Such bouts involve trollbaiting,
d0xxing, and Internet Rage Machine power-ups. Whatever the magnitude/form,
online dialogues appear to be flooded with antagonistic commentary."

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/articles/mechanisms-of-exclusion