[spectre] Body Anxiety: Woman As Bearer Of The Look | Leah Schrager and Jennifer Chan

furtherfield furtherfielder at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 14:18:58 CET 2015

Sorry for any cross posting...

Body Anxiety: Woman As Bearer Of The Look | Leah Schrager and Jennifer Chan

Review by lauragonzalez

In a psychoanalytic review of the online exhibition Body Anxiety, curated
by Leah Schrager and Jennifer Chan, Laura González explores fear, symptom,
sublimation and the pleasure of looking in relation to the body of the
artists shown.

"Fear is easily attributable to a cause—we fear something in particular.
Anxiety, however, can be described as fear without the source. Yet, anxiety
is also a safety mechanism. Without it, we would walk in the face of
danger. In the online exhibition Body Anxiety, curated by Leah Schrager and
Jennifer Chan, the disquiet is experienced in the flesh, whether this is as
a symptom or sublimation."

http://www.furtherfield.org/features/reviews/body-anxiety-woman-bearer-look