[spectre] Invitation: Commons Technology and the right to a Democratic City

Francesca Bria francesca.bria at nesta.org.uk
Thu May 19 22:26:14 CEST 2016

<http://www.nesta.org.uk>
Update: 19th May 2016

*Democracy Lab: *23–27 May 2016, Medialab-Prado Madrid
*D-CENT International Conference: *27-28 May 2016, Museo Reina Sofia Madrid

*The Democratic Cities – Commons technology and the right to a democratic
city* event is fast approaching. The event will take place from the *23–28
May in Madrid, Spain*. You still have time to register!
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=1ab7314893&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

The event will be a unique opportunity to discuss *network democracy*, *new
forms of citizen participation*,* digital tools for democratic
participation* and *urban commons* for democratic cities. We expect +400
academic, activists, politicians and hackers to participate.

Read our updates, get inspired and
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=13d7137599&e=0b7a2c3b4a>join
us. The full programme and speakers introductions are available at
Democratic-cities.cc

The event is organised by D-CENT, Nesta, Medialab-Prado, Museo Nacional
Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, City of Madrid, City of Barcelona, and
supported by Labodemo and redecentralize.

Follow us: *#DCENTMadrid*
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=5773526d74&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
*#DemocraticCities*
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=c7d6b8f6b0&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=58d2be4ef0&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

<http://nesta.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=897a7b08ba&e=0b7a2c3b4a>>>
Our Blog
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=60fb0e7e08&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
 >> Meet the speakers
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=235e6df5df&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
  *>> En Español*
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=28c5199334&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

*****

*Democracy Lab 23–27 May*
Explore tools, processes and strategies for democratic participation
Full Programme
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=9888515070&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
| Read More
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=e4013973b1&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

Register Now
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=ae155ab82b&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

The *Democratic Cities – Commons technology and the right to a democratic
city* event begins with a five-day Democracy Lab
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=ea724de87b&e=0b7a2c3b4a>offering
a wide range of *hands-on trainings*,* workshops*,* hackathons* and a *two-day
unconference* with presentations selected via Open Call.

D-CENT project
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=7ce249237d&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
will host several sessions showcasing open source and privacy-aware Digital
Democracy tools
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=8864bca557&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
that have been piloted and tested across Europe with political parties. The
two-day unconference will provide an open space for initiatives developing
privacy-aware, open source, and distributed technologies to showcase their
work, share demos, debate and plan future development.

*****

*International Conference 27–28 May*
Technologies of the Democratic City
Full Programme
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=f0841624db&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
| Read More
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=63ce3d0202&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

Register Now
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=a381fb4d43&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

*D-CENT*
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=01ef601fa6&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
is the biggest European project on direct democracy and citizen engagement.
The International Conference
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=3308bf46de&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
in Madrid, organised as part of the Democratic Cities – Commons technology
and the right to a democratic city event taking place from the 23–28 May,
will conclude the week’s activities, and showcase the results of the D-CENT
project.

The conference
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=66b194573d&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
is a unique chance to hear a wide range of thought *leaders*,*
policy-makers*, *urban planners*,* philosophers*, *activists and academics*
discussing the future of citizen led movements and democratic technology.
View the full programme
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=abc60de100&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
and
register
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=01fb806c66&e=0b7a2c3b4a>
!

Speakers include:
*Julian Assange*, Wikileaks  |  *Francesca Bria*, D-CENT | *Fabrizio
Sestini*, European Commission |  *Raquel Rolnik*, University of São Paulo
 | * Manuela Carmena*, Mayor of Madrid  |  *Paul Mason*, The Guardian
|  *Evgeny
Morozov*, author and editorialist  | *Francesco “Bifo” Berardi*, writer and
philosopher  |  *Carlos Prieto del Campo*, Museo Reina Sofia  | * Renata
Avila*, Web We Want Foundation  | * Pablo Soto*, Madrid City Council
| * Sergio
Amadeu de Silveira*, Professor, Federal University of ABC  I   *Adam
Greenfield*, writer and urbanist I  and many more...

*>> En Español*
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=728219ced1&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

<#m_3250552649097320383_m_8030222759566311400_m_-7160537638958264430_m_-3070269889309149188_>
<#m_3250552649097320383_m_8030222759566311400_m_-7160537638958264430_m_-3070269889309149188_>
*Register*
<http://nesta.us8.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=110e8d2ab290d69703e25782d&id=679b8c7a1a&e=0b7a2c3b4a>

[image: Nesta...] <http://www.nesta.org.uk>

--
Francesca Bria  I Senior Project Lead  I Innovation Lab
EU Project Coordinator D-CENT - DSI

*Nesta...*
1 Plough Place
London
EC4A 1DE
www.nesta.org.uk | Newsletter <http://www.nesta.org.uk/newsletter_signup> |
Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/nesta_uk> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1868227&goback=%2Egdr_1274367066783_1>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/NESTA/116788428355432?v=wall&ref=sgm>

--
*Nesta...*

1 Plough Place
London
EC4A 1DE

www.nesta.org.uk | Newsletter <http://www.nesta.org.uk/newsletter_signup> |
Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/nesta_uk> | LinkedIn
<http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=1868227&goback=%2Egdr_1274367066783_1>
| Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/NESTA/116788428355432?v=wall&ref=sgm> |
Magazine <http://thelongandshort.org/>
------------------------------
This email and any attachments are confidential and may be subject to legal
privilege. Any use, copying or disclosure other than by the intended
recipient is unauthorised. If you have received this message in error,
please notify the sender immediately via +44 (0)20 7438 2500 or by email to
information at nesta.org.uk and delete this message and any copies from your
computer and network. The views expressed in this email are those of the
author and do not necessarily reflect the views of Nesta. Nesta is a
company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales with
company number 7706036 and charity number 1144091. Registered as a charity
in Scotland number SC042833. Registered office: 1 Plough Place, London,
EC4A 1DE.