[spectre] // Counter Surveillance Workshop, Spektrum Berlin, 22-24 April //

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Wed Apr 12 12:04:16 CEST 2017

Dear Spectre,

A continuation of our popular Critical Engineering intensives, we're pleased to
present a new workshop tackling network counter surveillance, hosted at Spektrum
Berlin from the 22nd to the 24th of April.

//------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

CRITICAL ENGINEERING: COUNTER SURVEILLANCE WORKSHOP

As our dependence on networked technology deepens, so does the risk of that same
technology being used to exploit us.

This intensive 3-day workshop will guide participants through the tools,
techniques and concepts necessary to protect themselves and those they care
about from compromise by state actors, corporations and other predators in
networked domains. Rather than simply installing privacy-focused software and
trusting its efficacy, the Counter Surveillance Workshop prioritises a strong
grounding in network topologies, threat-modeling and surveillance tactics toward
the ends of a broadly applicable skill set.

>From capturing and reconstructing data from wireless traffic, to device
tracking, the dark web and online anonymity, participants will acquire both
skills and tools normally reserved for those who would wish to take advantage of
our lack of knowledge, to assert power over us.

A derivation of the popular 5-day NETworkshop, this intensive is intended for
those with little or no prior understanding of counter-surveillance or digital
networks. As we will traverse abstract and technical territories - some of which
will appear at first opaque - we do however ask that only determined, ethically
conscious and focused participants apply. Activists, members of NGOs and at-risk
journalists are especially encouraged to attend, with respect to anonymity, as
required.

All software, free and open source, will be provided.

    http://spektrumberlin.de/events/detail/counter-surveillance-workshop.html
    https://criticalengineering.org/intensives/2017/counter-surveillance/

TEACHERS

Julian Oliver and Danja Vasiliev are experienced practitioners and teachers in
the areas of computer networking, radio, network decentralisation,
counter-surveillance, wireless forensics, embedded systems and UNIX system
administration. Their workshops have been taught throughout Europe, America and
many other countries worldwide over the past decade.

With kind regards,

--
The Critical Engineering Working Group
https://criticalengineering.org