[spectre] Fwd: [call: e-art & climate change] BALANCE-UNBALANCE conference 2017 @ Plymouth, UK

Andreas Broeckmann broeckmann at leuphana.de
Tue Jan 3 06:05:27 CET 2017

Betreff: 	[call: e-art & climate change] BALANCE-UNBALANCE conference
2017 @ Plymouth, UK
Datum: 	Thu, 22 Dec 2016 03:36:22 +0000
Von: 	Ricardo Dal Farra <ricardo.dalfarra at concordia.ca>

   *BALANCE-UNBALANCE 2017*

   *[Arts + Sciences x Technology = Environment / Responsibility]*

   *A Sense of Place*

   *August 21 to 23, **2017 *

   *i-DAT, Plymouth University, UK. *

*
*

BALANCE-UNBALANCE (BunB - http://balance-unbalance2017.org) is an
International Conference designed to use *ART* as a catalyst to explore
intersections between *NATURE*, *SCIENCE*, *TECHNOLOGY* and *SOCIETY* as
we move into an era of both unprecedented ecological threats and
transdisciplinary possibilities.

The BALANCE-UNBALANCE conference will bring artists together with
scientists, economists, philosophers, politicians, management and policy
experts, sociologists and engineers from across the world with the
intent of engendering a deeper awareness and creating lasting
intellectual working partnerships in solving our global environmental
crisis.

     “We are living in a world reaching a critical point where the
     equilibrium between a healthy environment, the energy our society
     needs to maintain or improve this lifestyle and the interconnected
     economies could pass more quickly than expected from the current
     complex balance to a complete new reality where unbalance would be
     the rule and human beings would need to be as creative as never
     before to survive. Environmental problems, economic uncertainty and
     political complexity have been around for a long time. What was
     different before was the speed and depth of transformations compared
     with today’s sudden changes. The frequent occurrence and severity
     that certain weather and climate-related events are having around us
     is increasing, and the ability of human beings on modifying adjacent
     surroundings as well as distant places have turn into a power
     capable of altering the planet […] The arts could play a major part
     in helping the global society to understand the magnitude of the
     crisis we are facing, and in promoting the awareness around
     environmental matters. it could also be a very good vehicle to
     disseminate proposals able produce changes in our behavior and
     decisions, influencing our chances for the future. Artists could
     promote inter and transdisciplinary actions focusing on our
     responsibility regarding the turning point we are living in defining
     the future of -human- life on Earth.”

For further information on the BALANCE-UNBALANCE agenda read: */Breaking
Paradigms: Electronic Arts & Humanitarian Actions
<http://balance-unbalance2017.org/files/2016/08/Dal_Farra_BunB_Breaking_Paradigms_2015.pdf>
/*by Ricardo Dal Farra.

*SUBMISSIONS:*

*BALANCE-UNBALANCE 2017* invites *papers*, *transdisciplinary
workshops*, *artistic activities and artefacts* (including *VR* and
*Fulldome* content), *posters* and *panels* that respond to the
provocation provided by the ‘Sense of Place’ theme. These initiatives
should propose new opportunities for digital/electronic/media arts to
catalyse transdisciplinary activity and behaviour change to help solve
our global environmental crisis.

**

BunB 2017 wishes to build on the work of previous BunB Conferences by
cultivating virtual and networked models which allow increased
diversity, access and dissemination whilst significantly reducing the
carbon footprint of a major international conference.

BALANCE-UNBALANCE 2017, /A Sense of Place/ is the 6th edition in the
conference series: http://balance-unbalance2017.org

   * BunB 2016 – Manizales, Colombia: www.balance-unbalance2016.org
     <http://www.balance-unbalance2016.org/>
   * BunB 2015 – Arizona, United States: www.balance-unbalance2015.org
     <http://www.balance-unbalance2015.org/>
   * BunB 2013 – Noosa, Australia: www.balance-unbalance2013.org
     <http://www.balance-unbalance2013.org/>
   * BunB 2011 – Montreal, Canada: www.balance-unbalance2011.hexagram.ca
     <http://www.balance-unbalance2011.hexagram.ca/>
   * BunB 2010 – Buenos Aires, Argentina:
     www.ceiarteuntref.edu.ar/eq-deseq-en
     <http://www.ceiarteuntref.edu.ar/eq-deseq-en>

About the theme for BunB 2017: */“A Sense of Place”/*.

Our increasingly mediated relationship with the environment brings new
insights to the invisible forces that affect complex ecologies. From
meteorological data flows to temporal climate change models, our
relationship with our environment is becoming more abstract, simulated
and remote – tempering our desire to act. Could it be that we know more
and experience less? BunB17 maps the coordinates of our /Sense of Place/
– the horizontal landscape to the vertical transcalar spaces of the
macro/micro.

The 6th edition of the BunB conference will be held from August 21 to 23
of 2017 in Plymouth, UK. Produced by i-DAT in collaboration with the
Sustainable Earth Institute and Art and Sound at Plymouth University,
BunB17 is being produced in collaboration with the North Devon’s UNESCO
Biosphere Reserve, Beaford Arts and Fulldome UK.

*
*

*Deadline for submissions*:

*January 16, 2017(midnight, UK time).*
*Notification of acceptance: February 28, 2017.*

Call for participation:
http://balance-unbalance2017.org/call-for-participation/