[spectre] Call for artworks from the Open Data Institute

Julie Freeman julie at translatingnature.org
Sun Mar 26 20:49:39 CEST 2017

*** Call for artworks ***

http://theodi.org/blog/call-for-proposals-lmao

Where is the humour in data? In these meme-fuelled, data-overloaded,
statistically skewed times, we are asking how, when and where can data be
funny.

Data infrastructures are revealing themselves to direct, redirect or
misdirect our news, our governments and ultimately our cultures. How can we
find the comedy – dark or light – in the flow of data surrounding us?

For the next Data as Culture art exhibition we are looking for artworks
that interrogate data in ways that raise a wry smile, a full blown LOL, or
a Black Mirror-style swipe at the future of open data.

Data as Culture is the art programme for the Open Data Institute.
Exhibitions take place in the working environment, alongside ODI staff and
visitors.

* Selection criteria
We are looking for framed or unframed, wall or screen-based works in any
media which:

   - present data as a humorous material for ‘funny ha-ha’ or ‘funny
   peculiar’ art propositions
   - consider the funny or absurd uses and misuses of data in emerging data
   and open data landscapes
   - play with the growing number of visual gags in online environments, eg
   chihuahua or muffin
   - raise critical questions or extend common experience of data in
   relation to the stated theme
   - creatively engage with the innovative, material and experiential
   qualities of data and its broader impacts on culture and society
   - inspire ODI staff and visitors to think differently about data and its
   ability to tell stories or frame questions
   - contribute to a richer visual environment in the ODI space
   - Small objects may be accommodated. We are particularly keen to receive
   proposals that incorporate open data.

We are not looking for:

   - direct data visualisation
   - fragile, interactive works
   - works that need assistance or complex instructions
   - long narrative pieces
   - continual externalised sound, although headphones are possible
   - toxic or hazardous substances

* Application process
Only applications submitted in the correct format via this online form will
be accepted (http://theodi.org/blog/call-for-proposals-lmao).

* Eligibility
The call is open to all artists working with data, and we actively
encourage applications from the groups below who are currently
under-represented within our sector. These are artists from black, asian
and other minority ethnic groups, artists who identify as LGBT, as well as
deaf and disabled artists.

* Budget
Loan fee for existing works: £400 per selected work. Production fees for
new works: up to £1,200

* Deadline 26th April 2017
http://theodi.org/

--