[spectre] New podcast: VARIATIONS #8, by Jon Leidecker

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 12:56:35 CET 2018

*New podcast:* In the last instalment of the VARIATIONS podcast series
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/variations8-jon-leidecker/capsula>, Jon
Leidecker analyses how the convergence of mainstream and social media
platforms have sidelined traditional record labels and sparked new
sub-genres from mashups to vaporwave, but also reinforced the perception of
music as consumable entertainment. Feat. more than 100 excerpts of music!

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/curatorial/variations8-jon-leidecker/capsula

When music can be confused for an object, a recording replacing the action
it describes, we are simultaneously promised total control while confronted
with music that challenges the idea of the individual author (or the
pleasure of music as a thing that can be owned). Despite, or due to this
tension, as illegal art of collage goes mainstream, we find ownership of
all personal expression more concentrated and removed from those who
produce it than ever before. The convergence of mainstream and social media
platforms sidelines traditional record labels and sparks new sub-genres
from mashups to vaporwave, but also reinforces the perception of music as
consumable entertainment. How are we being retrained to our new environment
by an aesthetic that has become so pervasive as to turn itself nearly
invisible? Never conclude a historical narrative in present time.

+
The 8 episodes and transcripts of Jon Leidecker's
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/variations_tag/> overview of the history of
sampling *can be found/listened and downloaded *here:
https://rwm.macba.cat/en/variations_tag/

*E/N/J/O/Y*