[spectre] (fwd) CFP: Open Source Technologies, Arts & Commoning Practices (Nicosia, 31 May-2 Jun 19)

Andreas Broeckmann ab at mikro.in-berlin.de
Thu Nov 29 20:43:25 CET 2018

From: Evanthia Tselika <evanthiatselika at gmail.com>
Date: Nov 29, 2018
Subject: CFP: Open Source Technologies, Arts & Commoning Practices
(Nicosia, 31 May-2 Jun 19)

Nicosia, Cyprus, May 31 - June 2, 2019
Deadline: Feb 28, 2019

Free and Open Source Technologies, Arts and Commoning Practices: An
Unconference about Art, Design, Technology, Making, Cities and their
Communities

Organized by the University of Nicosia Research Foundation as part of
PHYGITAL project.
Co-organized in collaboration with the Fine Arts Programme, Department
of Design and Multimedia, and Lakatamia Municipality/hack66.
         For up to date information please refer to
http://www.unrf.ac.cy/ or https://fineartuniccy.wordpress.com/

What kind of creativity comes after today's digital cultures? After the
smart city, post-surveillance, post-innovation, when social
entrepreneurship discourse has ran its course?

In the last few years there has been a sharp momentum in the growth of
groups and spaces that operate under collective and community- driven
structures of collaboration and shared learning processes (onsite and
online). This is happening in parallel to   greater debates around the
fate of the commons, openness, freedom of access and how new digital
scapes are influencing how we shape socially and community orientated
art, design and technological practices.

In our times of digital communalities bringing together issues related
to art, design, technology, governance, and the commons, makes apparent
the need to critically reflect on contemporary discourses of openness
and freedom, and redefine the ways we produce and share knowledge, not
least about new possibilities of production and sharing in themselves.

Considering our digital realisms and increasingly disparate lived
realities we wish to explore approaches and examples to activism in
relation to social movements around making and sharing, critical
artistic practices, and their related technological shifts. Especially
as pockets of our cities are being transformed into creative and
entrepreneurial hubs, reflection becomes necessary in how the setup of
these collective hubs of knowledge production effects and affects
urbanisation, regeneration and issues related to the smart city and its
mechanisms of surveillance.

Unconference Format
The unconference brings together scholars and practitioners across
fields, to convene, share, and collaborate on issues around the physical
and digital commons, the free and open source art and technology
movements, as well as collective and community- driven structures of
collaboration and shared pedagogic processes (onsite and online).

This unconference follows the momentum of a broader movement rethinking
the academic conference format towards a more connected model of
knowledge sharing, peer learning and collaboration. This allows
presentations of research while it also allows participants to work
together and set their own agenda in workshops that respond to previous
proposals as well as spontaneously emerging priorities. We will be
hosting participants from a broad network of researchers and activists
across fields, and connecting remotelywith others.

The unconference participants are invited to contribute to an Open
Access Online Masterclass with the same theme. The event will connect
with a local makeathon and later lead to an Exhibition that aims to
communicate visually and interactively the outcomes of these debates.
Developing a publication is one of the conference's main aims.

We invite 15-20min presentations, panels, abstracts, posters, and
workshop/unpanel proposals by 28/02/2019. Updates can be found on
http://www.unrf.ac.cy/

To propose something please send:
Panels: 250 word abstracts of all presenters, short bios, contact
details and panel title
Paper: 250 word abstract, short bio, contact details and paper title
Workshop: 250 word abstract, short bio, contact details and paper title
Other ideas: 250 word abstract/ concept note, short bio and contact details
Submit the above information to: cycommons at protonmail.com
For any queries do email tselika.e at unic.ac.cy or
chrystalleni.loizidou at gmail.com

Provisional Themes: - Openness, Freedom in social, art, design and tech
initiatives
- Hack-art-visms, hack the art and art the hack - Contemporary questions
around community and civically driven art, design and technology -
Hacking as culture- hacking-repurposing / Hackerspaces and Maker
culture- Makerspaces, hackerspaces, and their politics
- Shared learning- peer to peer, common
- Design global manufacture local
- Local vs global dimensions in community practice
- Tech and Art Resistance discourse and their directions and overlaps
- Activism, freedom tech, tech freedom
- Making and the commons: Redefining public art, Maker-culture, Openness
- Digital Commons
- Digital governance and social movements
- Self-organisation discourse
- Open data discourse
- Networked cultures
- Tech and Policy / Policy tech

Scientific Committee Evanthia Tselika, University of Nicosia. (Chair)
Chrystalleni Loizidou, hack66/ Lakatamia Municipality. (Chair)
Maria Hadjimichael, University of Cyprus. Niki Sioki, University of
Nicosia.  Eva Korai, Cyprus University of Technology.
Marios Isaakidis, University College London.
Thrasos Nerantzis, Future World Centre.  Leandros Savvides, Leicester
University.
Gabriele de Seta,  Institute of Ethnology, Academia Sinica in Taipei,
Taiwan.
Helene Black and Yiannis Colakides, NeMe.org.

Reference / Quellennachweis:
CFP: Open Source Technologies, Arts & Commoning Practices (Nicosia, 31
May-2 Jun 19). In: ArtHist.net, Nov 29, 2018.
<https://arthist.net/archive/19641>.

ArtHist.net - Network for Art History / Netzwerk für Kunstgeschichte

Editorial Board Contact Address / Fragen an die Redaktion:
editors at arthist.net

Submit contributions to / Beiträge bitte an: