[spectre] // Climate and Collapse //

Julian Oliver julian at julianoliver.com
Tue Oct 30 11:44:26 CET 2018

Dear Spectre,

Posting here a recent interview of French historian Christophe Bonneuil,
meticulously translated to English by Crystelle Vu:

Thoroughly recommended reading, not only as it deeply implicates the near future
of Europe itself.

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------->

'Climate and collapse: Only Through the Insurrection of Civil Societies Will We
Avoid the Worst'

Are we under the threat of an imminent "collapse" as a result of global warming
and the over-exploitation of resources? For the historian Christophe Bonneuil,
there is no question: major social, economic and geopolitical upheavals have
already been triggered and will only accelerate. Instead, the issue needs to be
repositioned, in turn inciting "political thinking" of the current situation:
who will be the winners and the losers? How can we exert an influence on the
nature of these changes? Mass migrations, risk of conflicts over resources:
despite his brutal observation of this emerging world, the historian appeals to
avoid the trap of a "romanticism" of collapse. "Another end of the world is
possible," he says. It is up to civil societies to write the final scenario.

    https://www.activisme.fr/climate-and-collapse/

Globally warm regards,

--
Julian Oliver