[spectre] Floppy Totaal: Magnetic Flux

Lídia Pereira lidia.pmr at gmail.com
Sun Aug 25 16:28:17 CEST 2019

Hello everyone!

If you are around Rotterdam the next weekend, I would like to call your
attention to the following event:

Floppy Totaal is back! On Saturday, the 31st of August, the first and
longest living project entirely devoted to contemporary floppy disk culture
and art will visit WORM once again for an event entirely devoted to floppy
disk music. During this occasion, which is dubbed 'Floppy Totaal: Magnetic
Flux', we will be taking a look at the various ways in which recording
artists and music labels utilize floppy disks to produce, share and
distribute their music today. Floppy artists Adam Frankiewicz from
Pionierska Records and Floppy Not New(s), Sascha Müller and Remute will
showcase their views during a two part program consisting of workshops,
talks and performances. What are the benefits of distributing music on a
medium which most people don't have access to nowadays? And what can floppy
disks teach us when we consider them as an alternative to a music scene
that is dominated by streaming services and constant access? These and many
more questions will be answered!

Part 1:
https://worm.org/production/floppy-totaal-magnetic-flux-workshop/

Part 2:
https://worm.org/production/floppy-totaal-magnetic-flux/

About Floppy Totaal <http://floppytotaal.org>:
Floppy Totaal is a Rotterdam based research project that investigates the
reuse and re-purposing of 'outdated' technology as a cultural phenomenon.
By examining the contemporary usage of the iconic floppy diskette as a case
study, we can assess the way past technology is integrated into our culture
today, as well as its future potential. We aim to become a central
knowledge hub in our field of interest by means of live events and an
active online environment that collects and showcases relevant lectures,
workshops, games, performances and installations. The goal of our project
is to inject the debate surrounding obsolescent media with new enthusiasm
and stimulate a critical approach to our topic with the help of extensive
research.

Hope to see you there!

All the best,
The Floppy Totaal Team