[spectre] New podcast with Olivia Plender

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:34:06 CEST 2019

Artist and researcher Olivia Plender
<https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/olivia-plender/capsula> talks about
historical female-authority voices, her research on Sylvia Pankhurst & The
Suffragettes, productivity and care, groups without charismatic leaders and
embodied education.

Link: https://rwm.macba.cat/en/sonia/olivia-plender/capsula

Using formal solutions such as installations, films, comics, sound pieces,
and performance workshops, Olivia Plender's body of work explores group
dynamics, looking into the composition of small communities that have
operated decentralised from social consensus throughout history. Plender's
research usually focuses on analysing archival materials and aesthetically
translating them, narrating little-known episodes that include the Kibbo
Kift theory of social credit during the economic crisis of 1929,
spiritualist rites that promote self-improvement, and the forgotten
radicality of the suffragettes, whose list of feminist demands is, to a
large extent, still to be addressed. The implementation of long-term
collaboration process in schools and social centres is another important
aspect of her practice, exemplifying a politics based on knowledge settling
from the bottom up, through close ties that can survive and grow over time.

In this podcast, Olivia Plender talks about productivity and care, about
suffragettes and museums, and about adolescence and schools. She looks at
groups without charismatic leaders, embodied education, and the possibility
of transforming errors in honest discussions. And she tells us about women
gaining authority through voice training – the material aspect of speech –,
and about how, sometimes unconsciously, we adopt a voice for which we feel
socially rewarded.

*Timeline*

00:00 Attempting to construct a voice

08:05 Historical female-authority voices

12:46 We end-up with the voice that we are somehow rewarded for

15:49 Sylvia Pankhurst & The Suffragettes

19:14 A larger challenge to the art institution

22:52 Shifting towards collective experiences

25:27 Spiritualists: everybody can be a medium

29:38 A knowledge structure with no charismatic leaders

30:59 Folding archival material in time: The Kibbo Kift

35:45 Productivity and care

39:18 Something you lose and something you get

45:34 School as Sweden in miniature

49:55 A graphic novel including what went wrong

*E/N/J/O/Y*