[spectre] Elemental Cinema: From the Alchemical Image to Ecofeminism 8-29 June Gulbenkian Museum, Lisbon

Margarida Mendes margaridamendesm at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:45:54 CEST 2019

Elemental Cinema: From the Alchemical Image to Ecofeminism
Barbara Hammer«Women I Love», 1976. Cortesia EAI

Expanding on the notion of elemental cinema, this film programme explores
the relation between the human and the sensuous, intimate dimension of the
material realm.

It introduces a series of moving image experiments that reveal ecological
concerns – by applying alternative film processing techniques that involve
agents such as fungi or vegetables – as well as engage with the nonhuman
point of view, testing the limits of the camera gaze, while challenging our
entry point to the natural world.

With a focus on female filmmakers, the works selected bridge forms of
sensorial and pragmatic knowledge of the world, comprising reflections on
geopoetics, ecofeminism, and speculative fiction, putting an emphasis on
the current debate of our material ideations.

Curator: Margarida Mendes

With *Alexandra Navratil, Ana Vaz, Arjuna Neuman, Denise Ferreira da
Silva, Barbara Hammer, Beatriz Santiago Muñoz, Cem Raios T’Abram, Cherry
Kino, Deborah Stratman, Gunvor Nelson, Jennifer Reeves, Mariana
Caló, Francisco Queimadela, Mónica Baptista, Schmelzdahin, Stan Brakhage
and Von Calhau!*

8-29 June Gulbenkian Museum, Lisbon