[spectre] Climate Emergency Art Exhibition and Divinatory Making

Jake Harries jakeharries at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 18:11:43 CEST 2019

Hi
Access Space has two events coming up next week, Pseudo Random, a workshop
on Tuesday (£5 a place)
led by artist Hestia Peppe who will take you on a journey through
divinatory reading and making, and on Friday,
the opening of On The Surface Of Things, an art exhibition with 24
contributing artists with the themes of the
environment and climate emergency, together with a large scale film
projection on the front of Access Space's
building showing the film work of 17 international artists.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Pseudo-Random
Divinatory reading and making: a neurodivergent workshop
with our Artist in Residence, Hestia Peppe

Exploring divinatory, oracular and speculative approaches to reading and
making in relation to neurodiversity.
Tuesday 17th September, 12 noon-5pm at Access Space.

Divination is the name given to the ways in which people have, throughout
history, sought answers to questions
for which they otherwise unable to determine an answer.
Common forms of divination are pendulum dowsing, tarot card reading, palm
reading, and the I Ching.
Artists, writers, readers, and makers are invited to come together to
explore the potential of working with the mistakes,
troubles, and mysteries of process rather than against them. We will
examine ideas such as debugging, hacking and
self diagnosis in relation to divination.

Hestia Peppé is a neuro-atypical artist, researcher and writer, working on
a PhD concerned with divination as an
expanded practice of speculative reading, at Sheffield Hallam University.
In July this year she was Access Space
Artist in Residence.

This afternoon workshop will introduce the ancient and resurgent practice
of divination in relation to the computational
application of pseudo-randomness in contemporary technology. Together we
will try out some divinatory gestures
and methods and investigate what can open up in process whenwe do not
attach significance to outcomes or mastery.
We will consider the challenges presented by divination to goal directed
assumptions about making in relation to the
emerging paradigm of neurodiversity, which through the self-diagnosis and
self-advocacy of neuro-atypical people
seeks to understand and support 'all kinds of minds'.
Neurodiversity is understood to be intersectional with existing movements
in disability,decolonisation, anti-racism,
anti-fascism, feminism, climate justice, and LGBTQIA and worker solidarity.

Workshop places are £5
Book a place here:
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/pseudo-random-divinatory-reading-and-making-a-neurodivergent-workshop-tickets-71539507593
Info: jake at access-space.org
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

On The Surface Of Things

This exhibition is the first of a series of events at Access Space over the
coming year which invite artists to respond to
the extraordinary contemporary circumstances.

On The Surface Of Things is an exhibition of artworks that relate to our
environment, either through our dependency
on it, our relationship to it, our interactions with it, or our experiences
of it. It is an action affiliated with
Extinction Rebellion Sheffield, in response to the declaration from
Sheffield City Council of a climate emergency.
https://access-space.org/portfolio/on-the-surface-of-things/

Exhibition Opening Event - Friday 20th September 2019, 7-10pm
With large scale film projection on the front exterior of our building.
Short films by:
AsproZingel, Kayla Parker & Stuart Moore, Joshua Evan & Antonis Sideras,
Alessandro Carboni, Lorraine Clewlow, Matteo Zamagn,
alittlepieceofland.org.uk, Dan Shipsides, Andrew Payne,
Eva Rudlinger, D-Fuse, Nichola Rodgers, Richard Bond,
Isabella Martin, Amy Wilson.

Exhibition Open 21st Sept to 4th Oct (Tue-Sat) 11am-6pm
Exhibiting artists:
alittlepieceofland.org.uk,
Krishna Alageswaran, Lizzie Alageswaran,
Annie Anthony-Mays, Anthony Bennett,
John Brokenshire, Daniel Bustamente,
Stephen Carley, Claire Jane Carter,
Jennifer Clowes, Krystal Collison,
Cath Dunn, Alex Ekins, Paul Evans,
Gill Gathercole, Ellie Harrison, Rachael Kidd,
Tessa Amy Lyons, Anne Parfitt, Julia Parks,
Sadie Renwick, Katherine Rhodes, Dan Shipsides,
Ric Warren.

Closing Party
Friday 4th October starting at
Access Space at 6pm
(followed by fundraiser for Extinction
Rebellion at venue tbc)

Exhibition curated by Sadie Renwick, Rachael Kidd & Access Space.
More info email jake at access-space.org

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

The arts programme at Access Space is funded with public money by the
National Lottery through
Arts Council England

--

All the best
Jake

Jake Harries, Director of Arts and Innovation
www.access-space.org  +44(0)114 249 5522
@accessspace facebook.com/accessspace
3-7 Sidney St, Sheffield, S1 4RG, UK
jake at access-space.org