[spectre] Radio Web MACBA: 2020, looking inwards and backwards

Radio Web MACBA rwm2008 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:57:57 CET 2020

*RWM staff picks: ten voices and ten podcasts*

—

To bid farewell to this gruelling and dramatic year, we aren’t bringing you
the usual list of highlights of the past twelve months. Not because there
weren’t any great moments on Radio Web MACBA in 2020 – the global year of
the podcast – but because we feel the urge to look inwards, to think
together as the people who make RWM. To welcome 2021, the RWM Working Group
has chosen ten of its essential podcasts, which are also processes and
learning journeys. We bring you ten voices, sharing their thoughts out
loud. We hope that as a result of relaxed, attentive, repeated listening
you will find as many reasons as we did to continue assembling and
disassembling the world we live in.

*1/ Angela Dimitrakaki:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/LaIKJcL6EIKDmJdkeSV8xnfxh2Extz1TNdpZ5phIWTEx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

—

«Commons, communalism, and so on are terms that have defined a radical
contemporary critique, because life is too short, we are not always
patient, we want things to happen now! We want post-capitalism within
capitalism, we want pockets of non-capitalist relations, and we are very
keen to witness them. But the problem is that capitalism uses the commons
to fix its problems, to fill the gaps.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/aQPJJmW6a3OIaOKuQyqcGUJ65Z7FGnnDJNN3inxWE8kx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*2/ Hugo Esquinca:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/GU5yxjVYnUtbkkx1EInlkxJjAQ2rPJIoS8HpQ4Dv4gkx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

—

«I cannot claim indigenous thinking as my own, because I’m already the
result of a mix, I’m already part of the outcome of colonialism. A mestizo
Mexican is the result of a Spanish father and an indigenous woman who was
raped.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/H11EPTh6LqLz9xw8wZ7ogMrP9MM7WYKNjwQxpjXfvZ8x/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*3/ Diego Falconí Travez:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/Dxomj0et9fx1Wow9BxsO7vdMBjdrGbZrxSVAhM0xKCox/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

—

«Because there are so many earthquakes in the region -Abya Ayala-,
buildings were built to withstand earthquakes. And one of the methods that
were supposed to achieve this was mixing the blood of an animal and ashes
with other materials. I’m not sure if it actually helps from an engineering
point of view, but it is important symbolically.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/JeEsCxdvpUWhfr0xxpguxoZxUfG00TvTvOyehm7asY8x/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*4/ Terike Haapoja:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/ahWB7Nq071xhUFsF8MT4r6f4XWKxInFM95MhwANOQiIx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

—

«There’s one realm where these very binary categories are a reality: law.
You have nature and you have culture, there’s no hybridity. Modern
legislation almost anywhere in the world is divided into two categories:
persons on the one hand (human and human-made constructs), and then things,
nature and almost everything else. The very premises on which this
apparatus is built excludes a whole bunch of creatures, beings, and also
people.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/Lqn5n6aQiQ3WAa43xE74g82tXPoBEZ8m5ihmD2fSqUYx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*5/ Lars Holdhus/TCF:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/eiuHqCxjE5jpMJlvOC15v3dMA6VjmohOUuv7xuB7xQsx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

—

«We should lower our impact so that we can take better care of our
surroundings. That doesn’t just mean transport or food, it means all
matters in this world. In order to do that, we need to be aware, we need to
be present, and we need to have gratitude and show appreciation for the
environment. And that includes bodies, it includes people, it includes… the
environment in general. Everything that exists that is living and that we
may not know is living yet.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/BRmkPHomnPnYA4ZRfV5ww4RlafqE5NOZa7LeJuRyHaAx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*6/ Isaac Julien:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/zYKlbnJ3qx8ZWabcCeQFkZGj9przZ5rYJnRL4ixRIhcx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

—

«I would say there’s a particular heightened moment when we are trying to
turn around the regimes of representational orders. In reality, we are
striving for self-representation. Retrospectively, I now call this
*reparational
aesthetics*. It’s not about an aesthetic that necessarily makes you better,
its role is more to give, to make pictures... How do you make pictures of
things that are invisible? I think that’s a challenge.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/0dERqWxdxdj4Tt835J3UVjCAxb2Vql1cJHF6SKFnMFQx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*7/ Jon Leidecker:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/N9SBnxOnHHlix5HbhPx8vpIxT1BDOYJRGqPCLxxhGe0x/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>
—
«Any one pop song taken alone is a model of self-expression, an individual
voice. At the same time, the whole of pop culture is increasingly
experienced as a collage, a fabric of voices. This is where collage and
sampling come in, as a way of composing closer to how most of us now
experience music: the composer’s voice leaves other voices audible, it
brings emulation and innovation back into balance as equally necessary
elements, it shows us that copying is a creative act as well as a social
one. Collage music reminds us that music is not something that one person
can ever own. Rather, it is something that we are allowed to join as it
sings itself through.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/48effsj0OQWxFEqxb5CHLIwtLJJS4f9hy8mrOlnOwowx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*8/ Martha Rosler:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/LatUHOKgkZRpuxOxfhETERGpZgDz800G0syzPIyG0x8x/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>
—
«We consume the world through images, but we are turning ourselves into
images in order to consume ourselves. And the world becomes a backdrop for
that production and consumption of the self. It’s like a form of implosion.
We are constantly reinventing ourselves in relation to important monuments
or people. Without that, the self-portrait is a mysterious item now.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/lb12DIikcPEdchBqDj5gkEE9oKBMKQafm9lmg450rY0x/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*9/ Alma Söderberg:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/KhE8okZfPXPgoGeyNf9fIJ9562LKUYo4XdCpzuRzUlIx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>
—
«For me, the practice of polyrhythm is closely related to a kind of
political practice. It involves being in space of difference, not looking
for a way out of a complex site in which a lot of different things are
happening simultaneously, with sometimes conflicting information, and being
able to navigate that space. I find it useful to practice polyrhythm and
then practice being in the world. There is a kind of skill you can develop
by practicing what musicologist Eric Davis calls “simultaneous difference”,
where, he says, you are “playing a part” and “playing apart.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/zhr0jB8xxTnIoZ4L8zOzcumQTSGkExNkbUjR1OFqsDcx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>

*10/ Bernard Stiegler:*
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/N6KT6AXk8GEd3xvKZ02aS5aRMV0h4dJsAKhVvQjMMPIx/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>
—
«As a result of the process of proletarianization people no longer work,
they are employed. To work is to produce differences, to produce knowledge.
Marx said it: in the end, everybody will be proletarianized. This is the
situation we are in now, and it is bringing about the Anthropocene, a
process that is increasing the rate of entropy in the field of
thermodynamics (climate change), in the field of biology (the destruction
of biodiversity), and in the field of information: the production of Trump.
Stupidity at the head of America and the world.»
PODCAST >
<https://1816736fd70f44d0800bac1d93434f17.svc.dynamics.com/t/t/yPmk1IRJjxxbifxvYFucxCcNWppxYXyaD6GUnhxHNh4x/dQu8r1fQ1jwqcYhyH46ZiOjfBWxbYrEm7nLVP8M6sV0x>
** *List compiled by Dolores Acebal, André Chêdas, Pablo Martínez, Antonio
Gagliano, Roc Jiménez de Cisneros, Verónica Lahitte, Violeta Ospina, Tiago
Pina, Quim Pujol, Anna Ramos, Matías Rossi, Anna Irina Russell, María
Salgado, and Albert Tarrats.