[spectre] MoneyLab #8 - Minting a Fair Society // Housing: Hacking the Crisis of Home

Marcela Okretič marcela at aksioma.org
Mon Jun 8 12:10:42 CEST 2020

Dear all,

Today at 5pm CET the discussion will be on Housing: Hacking the Crisis of
Home. I kindly invite you to share your ideas, comments and questions trough
the live chat.

MoneyLab #8
Minting a Fair Society

LIVE STREAMING SERIES
https://aksioma.org/moneylab8

Critical thinkers, artists, researchers, activists, and geeks

in search of other economies and financial discourses for a fair society.

STREAM #5 / Monday, 8 June 2020 at 5 pm CET

Housing: Hacking the Crisis of Home

With Lenart J. Kučić, Forms of Ownership / Vienne Chan, DOMA.CITY / Maksym
Rokmaniko & Francesco Sebregondi

Moderated by Klemen Ploštajner

>From empty luxury condos in London to slum clearance in Istanbul, from
mortgage debt crisis in Spain to unaffordable rents in Slovenia, we are
witnessing different local expressions of the global housing condition.
These local crises stem from the real estate-financial complex that has
transformed housing into an investment opportunity for an increasingly
unequal concentration of global surplus capital. The commodification of
housing thus offers lucrative financial opportunities for upper classes,
while at the same time contributes to the increasing residential alienation,
housing insecurity and expropriation of the commons. States have contributed
to these developments by not only deregulating housing markets and
privatising public rental stock, but also by employing different
entrepreneurial strategies that support private investment strategies while
limiting the development of non-profit alternatives. Housing is thus no
longer a source of individual or social stability and security, but of
constant tension, conflict and exploitation. How can communities, in current
conditions of financial plunder and state removal, come together to
construct other scenarios? How can we develop new mechanisms of communal
control that will once again embed housing markets in local social
relations, that will treat housing as a communal resource and human right?
Can we imagine another system that will not be based on housing as an
investment, but will see it as a home?

Follow the programme here:

FB event > https://www.facebook.com/events/527075734629065/

Telegram > https://t.me/aksiomaorg

Organised and produced by: Aksioma - Institute for Contemporary Art,
Ljubljana, 2020
For the series:  <https://aksioma.org/tactics.practice/> Tactics & Practice
In the frame of:  <https://kons-platforma.org/> konS - Platform for
Contemporary Investigative Art
In collaboration with:  <https://www.kinosiska.si/en/> Kino Šiška - Centre
for Urban Culture and  <https://www.kinosiska.si/en/> Institute of Network
Cultures / Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences
In partnership with: <https://rijeka2020.eu/en/>  Rijeka ECoC 2020 and
<https://www.ufg.at/Master-Programme.1594+M52087573ab0.0.html> Interface
Cultures Department / Kunstuniversität Linz
Media partners: Neural magazine, We Make Money Not Art, TAM-TAM, Radio
Študent

The project konS - Platform for Contemporary Investigative Art was chosen on
the public call for the selection of the operations "Network of
Investigative Art and Culture Centres".

The investment is co-financed by the Republic of Slovenia and by the
European Regional Development Fund of the European Union.

Marcela Okretič

Aksioma | Institute for Contemporary Art, Ljubljana

Jakopičeva 11, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

Aksioma | Project Space

Komenskega 18, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia

tel.: + 386 - (0)590 54360