[spectre] 'Art as We Don't Know It' - a new publication marking the 10th anniversary of the Bioart Society in Helsinki

Erich Berger erich.berger at bioartsociety.fi
Mon Mar 16 12:51:08 CET 2020

Dear all,

I would like to put your attention to the new publication 'Art as we Don't Know It'
edited by Erich Berger, Kira O'Reilly, Kasperi Mäki-Reinikka, Helena Sederholm and
published by Aalto Arts Books.
The 280 page volume is available as hard copy or as free full pdf download via the
Aalto Arts Books online shop: https://shop.aalto.fi/p/1194-art-as-we-dont-know-it/ .

The book marks the 10th anniversary of the Bioart Society but instead of looking back
we joined forces with Biofilia – Base for Biological Arts to have a glimpse forward and
to scan what kind of questions and topics in the realm of bioart, art&science and its
politics could be relevant for our work in the coming years.

Art as We Don’t Know It showcases art and research that has grown and flourished within
the wider network of both the Bioart Society and Biofilia during the previous decade.
The book features a foreword by curator Mónica Bello, and a selection of peer-reviewed
articles, personal accounts and interviews, artistic contributions and collaborative
projects which illustrate the breadth and diversity of bioart. The resulting book is a
tantalising and invaluable indicator of trends, visions and impulses in the field.

We have an inspiring line-up of contributors which we are very grateful to for sharing
their thoughts, ideas and insights: Markus Schmidt & Nediljko Budisa, Andy Gracie,
Adriana Knouf, Marta De Menezes & Luis Graca, Marietta Radomska & Cecilia Åsberg,
Crystal Bennes, Bartaku, Erich Berger, Antero Kare, Laura Beloff, Johanna Rotko,
Kasperi Mäki-Reinikka, Teemu Lehmusruusu, Antti Tenetz, Ian Ingram & Theun Borssele,
Paul Vanouse, Rian Ciela Visscher Hammond, Christina Stadlbauer, Paula Humberg,
Denisa Kera, Leena Valkeapää, lifepatch, Jurij Krpan, Anu Osva, Lifepatch,
Kristiina Ljokkoi & Tomi Slotte Dufva, Ulla Taipale & Christina Stadlbauer,
Margherita Pevere, Heather Davis, Elaine Gan & Terike Haapoja, Ida Bencke,
Mari Keski-Korsu, Oron Catts & Ionat Zurr, Kira O'Reilly, Pia Lindman,
Helena Sederholm and Lauri Linna and with a foreword by Mónica Bello.
The cover features a Yeastogram by Johanna Rotko and the design is made by
Safa Hovinen.

Best wishes

Erich