[spectre] Online Performance - Lu Yang: Delusional World

ashley wong ashley.leee at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 10:14:08 CET 2020

** sorry for the cross-posting **

Dear friends and colleagues around the world,

We’d like to invite you to join artist Lu Yang's live virtual
motion-capture performance Delusional World presented in collaboration with
MetaObjects on Wed 11 Nov 2020 at 3pm* Shanghai / 6pm Melbourne time *(7am
GMT /11pm PST 10 Nov). The performance will be live-streamed from Chronus
Art Center in Shanghai and presented by ACMI, Arts Centre Melbourne,
AsiaTOPA and the Exhibitionist.

The online event was developed as a result of a cancelled live performance
earlier this year in Federation Square, Melbourne. The performance was then
re-developed as a virtual live-streamed event in collaboration with Chronus
Art Center. In the performance, a live dancer’s movements will be mapped to
new animated deities and disembodied forms of Lu Yang alongside a
choreography of visual effects and music. Audiences can view the
performance online through a link sent to registered attendees, who will be
able to interact with the artist during the event. MetaObjects has been
supporting the production remotely from Hong Kong (watch a video interview
<https://hkgarden.scm.cityu.edu.hk/2020/08/media-art-practitioner-ashley-wong/>,
where we discuss some of the challenges and opportunities of working
online).

The work extends Lu Yang’s ongoing exploration of how the body, the digital
and the spiritual coexist and shape one another. Through dance,
motion-capture and animation, the artist creates vibrant and engrossing
performative worlds which reference video games, religious iconographies,
and manga aesthetics. Through these worlds, she asks expansive questions
about life, death and reincarnation, relationships between mind and body,
consciousness and existence, neurological control and human intention, and
about identity formation and corporeal re-embodiment in the virtual realm.

The event is free to join. Register on the ACMI website:

https://www.acmi.net.au/whats-on/gallery-5/lu-yang-delusional-world

Or join directly at the live-stream link: https://luyang.acmi.net.au/

Follow the Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/713594806232138

*About*

Lu Yang is a Shanghai-based artist who works across video, installation,
animation, performance, motion-capture and games to create provocative
experiences that questions the belief that human control is privileged
within the universe. Instead, she highlights the biological and material
determinants of our condition, reminding us of our transient and fragile
existence. Lu Yang graduated with a BA and MA from the New Media Art
department of the China Academy of Art, Hangzhou. Her work has been
featured in exhibitions internationally including Lu Yang: Encephalon
Heaven, M WOODS, Beijing (2017), People’s Republic of China Pavilion, 56th
Venice Biennale, Venice (2015), KIMO KAWA CANCER BABY, Rén Space, Shanghai
(2014). She was awarded the BMW Art Journey prize in 2019 and is
represented by Société in Berlin. http://luyang.asia

Please feel free to share this along. We hope you will join us for this
special event!

Best,

Ashley

--

Ashley Lee Wong 黄詠欣

PhD Researcher | School of Creative Media, City University of Hong Kong

Artistic Director | MetaObjects 元物 | www.metaobjects.org

IG <https://www.instagram.com/metaobjects/> | FB
<https://www.facebook.com/metaobjects.org> | TW
<https://twitter.com/metaobjectsorg>